Please use this section to get settled, find support and take advantage of university services.
Your first priority should be to attend your department's orientation event. You'll meet your departmental colleagues and get to know the staff who will be helping you throughout your program.
Departmental Orientations for Fall 2015 are currently being scheduled. We'll update the list below as we get information from your departments.
You will also receive email directly from your department about your departmental orientation. If you do not receive this information, please contact your department's graduate program assistant.
- Biological Sciences, Thursday, September 10, 1:30–3:40 pm, Biological Sciences Seminar room B9242. Followed by a Welcome BBQ.
- Computing Science, Thursday, September 10, 12 noon, TASC 1 9204 (Burnaby campus)
- Computing Science MSc in Big Data, Friday, September 11, 12 noon, TASC 1 9204 (Burnaby campus)
- Contemporary Arts (MAs and MFAs), Friday, September 4, 4:30 pm. Meet in the lobby (ground floor) of SFU Woodward's (Goldcorp Centre for the Arts), 149 West Hastings Street
- Criminology, Friday, September 11, 2–4 pm, Faculty Conference room (SWH 10121)
- Education Master's and PhDs, Saturday, September 12, 10 am–1 pm, Saywell Hall
- Education (Community MEd & EdD cohorts): Tuesday, September 8, 6 pm, Surrey campus, SUR 3170
- English, Wednesday, September 2, 9 am-3 pm. Burnaby Campus, AQ 6106
- Geography, Wednesday, September 2, 9:30 am–3 pm, RCB 9152.
Contact Marion Walter for further information, firstname.lastname@example.org or 778-782-3322
- Gerontology, Tuesday, September 15, 1–2:30 pm, HC 2065. Followed by welcome reception.
- Health Sciences graduate student orientation, September 3, 9 am–4 pm. The majority of activities will take place in Blusson Hall.
- Interactive Arts and Technology (SIAT), Wednesday, September 9, 2015, 12 noon–5 pm, followed by Wine & Cheese meet and greet from 5–7 pm
- International Studies, Thursday, September 10, 12 noon–1:30 pm, HC 2065
- Master of Publishing, Tuesday, September 8, 10 am–12:30 pm, Harbour Centre Room 2270.
- Math, Tuesday, September 15, 4pm onwards, PIMS 8500
- Political Science, Tuesday, September 1, 10 am–12 noon in AQ 6036.
- Resource and Environmental Management: All new students will
go on a field trip in the week before classes begin.
If you have a confirmed place in the SFU Graduate Residences (Hamilton Hall or Townhouses), visit their Graduate and Family Welcome page for info on how to sign up for an early-move in option and residence orientation. It will take place in the first week of September. Cost is TBA.
SFU's Teaching and Learning Centre hosts a large TA/TM Day event for all teaching assistants and tutor-markers. The event is free and open to current TAs/TMs as well as anyone who is interested in becoming a TA or TM. It will be held on Friday, September 11, 2015, 8:30 am–4 pm.
The schedule also usually includes an opportunity to find out more about TA/TM employee medical coverage for and help with the employee medical insurance forms.
The Research Commons at the SFU Library has a Library Research Basics for Grad Students overview to get you introduced to the library. Dates TBA.