Please use this section to get settled, find support and take advantage of university services.
Your first priority should be to attend your department's orientation event. You'll meet your departmental colleagues and get to know the staff who will be helping you throughout your program.
Departmental Orientations for Fall 2016 are currently being scheduled. We'll update the list below as we get information from your departments.
You will also receive email directly from your department about your departmental orientation. If you do not receive this information, please contact your department's graduate program assistant.
- Archaeology: Thursday, September 8, 1:30 pm, Saywell Hall 9152
- Biological Sciences: Thursday, September 8, 1:30–4 pm, Biological Sciences Seminar room B9242
- Education Master's and PhDs: Saturday, September 10, 10 am–1 pm, Saywell Hall
- English: Wednesday, August 31, 2016, 9 am–3 pm, AQ 6106
- Gerontology: Monday, September 12, 12:30 pm in the Gerontology office. We will host a lunch followed by an information session.
- Health Sciences: Thursday, September 1, 9 am–4 pm. The majority of activities will take place in Blusson Hall.
- Political Science: Friday, August 26, 10 am–12 noon, AQ 6229
If you have a confirmed place in the SFU Graduate Residences (Hamilton Hall or Townhouses), visit the Residences' page for Incoming Residents for info on how to sign up for an early-move in option and residence orientation. It will take place in the first week of September. Cost is TBA.
SFU's Teaching and Learning Centre hosts a large TA/TM Day event for all teaching assistants and tutor-markers. The event is free and open to current TAs/TMs as well as anyone who is interested in becoming a TA or TM. It will be held on Friday, September 9, 2016, 8:30 am–4 pm.
The schedule also usually includes an opportunity to find out more about TA/TM employee medical coverage for and help with the employee medical insurance forms.
The Research Commons at the SFU Library has a Library Research Basics for Grad Students overview to get you introduced to the library. Dates TBA.