Types of Awards
Understanding award types is essential to setting up the PDF effectively. Please read this section, and if you need additional advice please email email@example.com
An External PDF is funded primarily through an external source. You can ascertain if this is an external award by answering YES to the following types of questions:
- Is the external source funding the PDF directly (in their name) to continue to work on their own research? This may or may not be associated with a faculty supervisor or supervisor's lab.
- Does the award letter call the funds a stipend (and not employment income)?
- Does the letter refer to the funds as an award?
- Do they refer to the PDF as trainee (rather than employee)?
- ALS Canada
- Alzheimer Society of Canada
- BC Center of Excellence for Women's Health
- Banting Fellowship
- Canadian HIV Trials Network (CTN)
- Kidney Foundation
- Michael Smith Foundation
- Technology Evaluation in the Elderly Network (TVN)
- Tri-Agency PDF Fellowships (some CIHR, NSERC & SSHRC awards)