Getting Oriented to SFU
Connect with SFU Services
These services are available to SFU's postdoctoral fellows as of the start date of the employment contract.
Complimentary facility membership is available to postdoctoral fellows for SFU Athletics-Recreation. An appointment letter or invitation letter must be presented in order to access this membership.
Membership includes: access to the Fitness Centre; access to drop-in sports and drop-in swim times; racquetball/squash; & recreational intramural leagues.
Paid recreation programs not included in this membership include: group fitness, dance, martial arts, masters swimming, indoor cycling, yoga, pilates and more.
The Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows offers professional development workshops to postdoctoral fellows on such topics as navigating the academic hiring process and managing supervisory relationships. Make sure you are registered with our office so that you are kept up to date about these sessions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if you are registered.
Career Services provides one-on-one advising appointments to support undergraduate students, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows at wherever they are in the career exploration process--whether it's reflecting on their desires and strengths or identifying possibilities and how they might most effectively explore them. Support in resume, CV, and cover letter development as well as interview preparation is also available.
To book an appointment at any of the three campuses, please call 778.782.3106
Although not a University service, the SFU Childcare Society provides care on campus for pre-school and school-aged children (from 3 months - 12 years of age). SFU affiliation does not affect fee rates, however it does determine level of priority in accessing this service.
Priority criteria follows the following order:
- 1st Priority Group – Current daycare members/ siblings of current daycare clients
- 2nd Priority Group - University Status (Students, staff and faculty)
- 3rd Priority Group - Alumni
- 4th Priority Group - UniverCity Residents
- 5th Priority Group- Community (general public)
International Services for Students offers various services and resources for international students and postdoctoral fellows such as the following:
- Resources and Instructional handouts - a list of step by step instructions on how to apply for immigration documents, SIN, taxes etc.
- Workshops - workshops are offered on topics such as Canadian work search and workplace culture for spouses, Canadian permanent residence options and introduction to Canadian culture.
The SFU Library provides postdoctoral fellows with a card allowing the same privileges as SFU faculty members. Postdoctoral fellows must complete and submit an extra-mural application form, along with a copy of the appointment letter or invitation letter. Email email@example.com for more information.
SFU Health and Counseling Services offer postdoctoral fellows emergency medical care, personal counseling, career counseling and crisis intervention.
SFU Parking Services issues postdoctoral fellows parking permits based on the same privileges as university faculty or staff. An appointment letter or invitation letter must be presented in order to access this service.
Postdoctoral fellows are eligible to apply for research grants only if they receive special approval from the Vice-President, Research. For more information about this process and the qualifying circumstances please see the grant eligibility form. Note: this process should be initiated well in advance of Office of Research Services deadlines.
See this link for the Office of Research Services' complete list of research grants.
Teaching and Learning
The Teaching and Learning Centre offers supports and training focused on enhancing teaching and learning such as:
Connect with Your Community
- Find out about activities being put on by the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows by joining the Post-docs email list (requires current SFU email account). To subscribe, click on the subscribe button or send a message from your SFU email account to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "subscribe post-docs" in the subject line. You don't need anything in the body of the message. Note: if you have registered with our office and provided us with your SFU email already, we will have already added you to this list.
- The SFU Postdoctoral Fellows Association is run by your peers and is always looking for new members and volunteers. Join their email list to keep up to date of social and professional development activities by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com with the message "subscribe post-doc-cafe" in the subject line. (No text is required in the body of the message). Please note that subscription requests need to be approved by the list's owner.
Engaging with Research
Want to find out about the innovative research that other SFU postdoctoral fellows are engaged in? You can read regular profiles of SFU postdoctoral fellows by looking at our blog, specifically this section: posts for postdoctoral fellows.
Want to let others, both at SFU and beyond, learn about your research? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to create a profile showcasing your work.
PDFs are required to adhere to all applicable University Policies. These are available at http://www.sfu.ca/policies/. These include but are not limited to:
- Research Grant and Contracts R10.01
- Research Ethics R20.01
- Biosafety R20.02
- Treatment of Animals in Research and Teaching R20.03
- Radiological Safety R20.04
- Intellectual Property R30.01 and R30.02
- Integrity in Research R60.01
- Fair Use of Information Resources GP-24
- Smoking and Occupational Health and Safety GP-16 and GP17
- Harassment GP-18
Settlement Resources for International Postdoctoral Fellows
- Find temporary accomodations
- Find off-campus housing
- British Columbia newcomer's guide to resources and services
- Get to know Metro Vancouver
- City of Vancouver: guide to moving to Vancouver
- Set up a bank account or cellphone account
- Check out our Virtual Orientation for more campus-specific tips on transportation, schooling & childcare, and much more.