Before You Begin Your Fellowship
Experienced postdocs and advisors suggest the following questions be asked of (and about) a prospective advisor:
- What are the advisor's expectations of the postdoc?
- Will the advisor or the postdoc determine the research program?
- How many postdocs has this advisor had? Where did they go afterward?
- What do current and past lab members think about their experience?
- Will the advisor have time for mentoring? Or should I seek out other mentors?
- How many others (grad students, staff, postdocs) now work for this advisor?
- How many papers are being published? Where?
- What is the advisor's policy on travel to meetings? Authorship? Ownership of ideas?
- Will I have practice in grant writing? Teaching/mentoring? Oral presentations? Review of manuscripts?
- Can I expect to take part of the project away after the postdoc?
- How long is financial support guaranteed? On what does renewal depend?
- Can I count on help in finding a position?
- Will the advisor have adequate research funds to support the proposed research?