Professional and career development is a hot topic for graduate students and postdocs! These are additional resources that might be of interest to you.
Professional Development Tools and Articles
- Payscale: Find out what your skills are worth on the job market
- Robert Half: Downloadable guides to average career salaries
- Glassdoor: Offers a free inside look at jobs and companies (salaries, reviews, interview questions, workplace photos).
- Career Coach: Find national salaries and compare average salary information locally.
- Homefair: International salary calculator for relocation purposes.
- Idealize Enterprises: The only 10 questions to ask in an informational interview
- Best Career Match: 20 informational interview questions
- Fortune: What to ask in an informational interview
- University of Buffalo: 40 questions to ask in an informational interview
- About Careers: Informational Interview Questions
- Youtube: Maximizing your LinkedIn profile and Using LinkedIn for research
- Youtube: 60 seconds and you're hired!
- Quintessential Careers: A comprehensive career development-work search website including tutorials on select topics.
- The Postdoc way: Resource for postdocs to interact with each other and develop their skills
- Business Insider: How To Write The Perfect Email Subject Line For Job Hunting
- Science Careers: The Postdoc experience: High expectations, grounded in reality
- The SearchLite: Leaving academia, a personal & professional challenge webinar
- New APPS: Art, Politics, Philosophy, Science: Philosophers who work outside of academia part 1, part 2 and part 3
- Jung Typology Test: Measures your personality type and what careers you would be suited to
- TED: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain
- Fast Company: 4 odd yet effective ways the smartest people prioritze their days
- Nature Jobs: Transferable skills and storytelling
Stay up-to-date with all the professional development opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows by subscribing to the Just-in-Time Calendar!
Build your personal and professional skills: