The Digital Democracies Group at Simon Fraser University, directed by Canada 150 Research Chair Professor Wendy Hui Kyong Chun, is offering a unique opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to apply to the School of Communication's Master of Arts program or PhD program. As a researcher in our lab, successful applicants will receive a stipend to engage in the interdisciplinary study of new media and work towards creating more vibrant democratic technologies and cultures.
- Apply to SFU's School of Communication's MA or PhD program for a fellowship to support research in Dr. Chun's Digital Democracies Lab
- Engage in multi-disciplinary studies in any of three streams of research (see below)
- Complete an MA or PhD degree at SFU in Burnaby and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Apply by January 10, 2020
Under the mentorship of Canada 150 Research Chair in New Media Dr. Wendy Hui Kyong Chun and working with a vibrant group of affiliated faculty, postdoctoral researchers and graduate students, successful applicants will research diverse topics pertaining to the lab's three main research projects:
- Beyond Verification: Authentication, Authenticity and the Spread of Fake News
- From Hate to Agonism: Fostering Democratic Exchange Online
- Desegregating Network Neighborhoods
In addition, Master's and PhD students will be given the opportunity to connect with faculty who are established and emerging leaders in the field, in an ever-evolving and internationally-renowned school that is consistently considered as a top communication program in Canada. Successful applicants will be eligible for additional financial support from the School of Communication and Simon Fraser University.
We're seeking competitive applicants from around the world who will help buttress Canada’s leadership in new media studies. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of a cutting-edge lab and build a portfolio towards a PhD or a career focused on fostering digital democracies.
The deadline to apply is January 10, 2020. Please apply directly to the School of Communication and indicate your interest in this opportunity.
If you have any questions about the lab or its research, please contact Sicellia Tsui, Lab Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Jason Congdon, Graduate Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!