- Figurations: Persons In/Out of Data Conference
- Gender and Agency Lecture Series
- Talk: Florian Cramer
- Stanford Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence 2019 Fall Conference
- Chicago Architecture Biennial
- 2019 Digital Democracies Conference
- Michael and Stacy Koehn Public Lecture in Critical Theory
- Art Impact (AI) / Impact Art (IA) Workshop
- Celebration of SFU Authors
Florian Cramer on 1970/80s Mail Art as a precursor to contemporary network culture. Open event.
About this Event
Dr. Florian Cramer, a writer, photographer, filmmaker, theorist, and researcher at the Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam, Netherlands, will be coming to Vancouver on Oct 30, 2019 to present on 1970/80s Mail Art, art that utilized postal exchange as a medium, and where Vancouver was a central site of its production.
His talk focuses on a number of issues in Mail Art that anticipate issues of contemporary Internet culture: junk mail, spamming, self-promotion, trolling, fascism as a means of transgression, network administration, and bureaucracy overhead and the resulting burn-out of participants.
As Vancouver was one of the centers of Mail Art, with the artist group General Idea around A.A. Bronson, the magazine FILE, artist-run centers such as Intermedia, Image Bank, and Western Front, his talk will be hosted in the core of Downtown Vancouver (Harbour Centre).
We welcome anyone interested in Florian's talk to join us for an informal evening with other researchers, students, artists and faculty at the Diamond Alumni Lounge inside Harbour Center, Room 2065, from 6 to 8:30 pm.
- Date & Time: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 6-8:30 pm
- Location: Harbour Centre, 555 W Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6B 4N4
- Room: HC2065 (Diamond Alumni Lounge)