EASC News and Events
In the news...
- Congratulations to Dr Derek Thorkelson on being awarded the 2018 Howard Street Robinson Medal
- Our newest faculty member Brendan Dyck is featured in SFU News for a paper in Nature on Mars' surface water (click here to see the article). Brendan's research is also highlighted in "Is the present really the key to the past?"
- EASC 421 (Volcanology) recently staged a crisis management scenario - check out the story in SFU News
- Recent PostDoc Laura Thomson from Dr. Flowers' Galciology group shares her expertise in "Glaciers & Climate Change", a science inquiry video produced by School District 43 and SFU's Faculty of Science.
- Check out this short video highlighting recent work by GlynWilliams-Jones on Nicaragua's Masaya volcano
- Diana Allen is profiled in SFU Science's "FeaturedResearchers", including a full interview
- Robbie Donald is featured in "Faces of Science Outreach"
- EASC Post-Doc Nick Roberts' research in Bolivia is in SFU News
- EASC Chair Brent Ward and Adjunct Professor Lionel Jackson describe the wealth of data in recently obtained core from the Evergreen Line (more...)
- John Clague is profiled in "The Beauty and Power of Nature" as part of the series "50 Years of Research and Innovation at SFU". John is also highlighted in the "Faces of Science Outreach" as well as the Faculty's "Research News"
- Check out Gwenn Flowers interview with SFU Science's "Featured Researchers"
Honours & Awards
- Derek Saxton and Allegra Whistler are the recipients of the 2018 Alexis Clague Award
- Kudos to Derek Thorkelson who was named the 2018-19 H.S. Robinson Medalalist by the Geological Association of Canada
- The 2018 Engineers and Geoscientists BC Scholarship in Earth Sciences was awarded to Maksym Golovetsky
- Undergrads Derek Saxton, Peter Balduzzi, Mylles Monragon, Manzula Eijsberg, and Alex Rea are the 2018 recipients of the Shaughn & Sharon Clements Travel Award in Earth Sciences
- Congrats to Allegra Whistler, the recipient of the 2018 Edelmayer Award
- Congratulations to Doug Stead on receiving the Canadian Geotechnical Society`s most prestigous award - Doug has been awarded the 2017 Legget Medal
New books in library
New books catalogued and funded by Earth Sciences monograph funds.
For more goings-on at SFU Earth Sciences, check out the latest edition of "Geocetera"