EASC News and Events
In the news...
- Dean of Science and EASC faculty member, Paul Kench, has recent research featured in "A new tool to predict wave driven flooding on mid-ocean atoll islands"
- Take a look at "Mr Meager" with recent PhD grad Gioachino (Gio!) Roberti
- View an "Interview with Dr. Brendan Dyck" , profiling the newest member of EASC's P/T Research Group
- EASC research on Mt Meager is highlighted on CBC's The National. "Climate change could wake up Canada's dormant volcanoes" features Glynn Williams-Jones and Gio Roberti (aired Dec. 5/2018)
- Congratulations to Derek Thorkelson on being awarded the 2018 Howard Street Robinson Medal
- Gwenn Flowers was on CBC's "The National"! Check out the web feature here, and watch the video that aired October 22nd, 2018.
- One of our newest faculty members Brendan Dyck is featured in SFU News for a paper in Nature on Mars' surface water (click here to see the article). Brendan's research is also highlighted in "Is the present really the key to the past?"
- PhD candidate Eric Thiessen is the 2018 recipient of the "Mary-Claire Ward Geoscience Award". Congratulations, Eric!
- Watch this short video of recent PhD grad Gioachino (Gio) Roberti - well done Mr. Meager!
- Check out "Risk Rising" in the Pique, with Glynn Williams-Jones and new minted EASC PhD Gioachino Roberti, as they discuss hazards at and around Mt. Meager
- Recent PostDoc Laura Thomson from Dr. Flowers' Galciology group shares her expertise in "Glaciers & Climate Change", a science inquiry video produced by School District 43 and SFU's Faculty of Science.
- Check out this short video highlighting recent work by GlynWilliams-Jones on Nicaragua's Masaya volcano
- Diana Allen is profiled in SFU Science's "FeaturedResearchers", including a full interview
- Robbie Donald is featured in "Faces of Science Outreach"
- EASC Post-Doc Nick Roberts' research in Bolivia is in SFU News
- EASC Chair Brent Ward and Adjunct Professor Lionel Jackson describe the wealth of data in recently obtained core from the Evergreen Line (more...)
- John Clague is profiled in "The Beauty and Power of Nature" as part of the series "50 Years of Research and Innovation at SFU". John is also highlighted in the "Faces of Science Outreach" as well as the Faculty's "Research News"
- Check out Gwenn Flowers interview with SFU Science's "Featured Researchers"
Honours & Awards
- Derek Saxton and Allegra Whistler are the recipients of the 2018 Alexis Clague Award
- Kudos to Derek Thorkelson who was named the 2018-19 H.S. Robinson Medalalist by the Geological Association of Canada
- The 2018 Engineers and Geoscientists BC Scholarship in Earth Sciences was awarded to Maksym Golovetsky
- Undergrads Derek Saxton, Peter Balduzzi, Mylles Monragon, Manzula Eijsberg, and Alex Rea are the 2018 recipients of the Shaughn & Sharon Clements Travel Award in Earth Sciences
- Congrats to Allegra Whistler, the recipient of the 2018 Edelmayer Award
- Congratulations to Doug Stead on receiving the Canadian Geotechnical Society`s most prestigous award - Doug has been awarded the 2017 Legget Medal
New books in library
New books catalogued and funded by Earth Sciences monograph funds.
For more goings-on at SFU Earth Sciences, check out the latest edition of "Geocetera"