FRBC Chair in Resource Geoscience & Geotechnics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: (778) 782-6670
- Office: TASC1 7419
- Personal page: http://www.sfu.ca/~tafgrc/DougStead/
- Research Group: Engineering Geology & Resource Geotechnics Research Group
- B.Sc., University of Exeter, UK
- M.Sc., University of Leeds, UK
- Ph.D., University of Nottingham, UK
Dr. Stead emphasizes the applications of engineering geology and geotechnical engineering in forested and mountainous terrains. Current research involves the development of digital terrain mapping techniques and their incorporation into slope stability assessment. The factors controlling slope failure, the mechanisms involved, and characterization of elements at risk are all important components of the research program. Recent research has included numerical modelling of landslides (e.g. The Frank Slide, Alberta) and surface mine rock slopes, hazard and risk assessment in open pit mines and quarries, analysis of ground behaviour adjacent to underground excavations, experimental rock mechanics and acoustic emission. International collaborative research is being undertaken with partners in the UK, Switzerland and Canada.
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.