- Preparing for graduate studies
- Drop-in workshops
- Mini course
- Awards & funding
- Herbert G. Grubel Award
- James Dean Award
- Lang Wong Memorial Endowment Scholarship
- Meiyu Li Memorial Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Entrance Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Fellowship
- Richard G. Lipsey Award
- Terry Heaps Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Fellowship in Economics
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Scholarship in Economics
- Job market candidates
- Graduate student profiles
- Student publications
- Department Login
Lecturer (0.5 FTE)
The Department of Economics at Simon Fraser University is inviting applications for a 0.5 continuing teaching faculty appointment at the rank of Lecturer.
The expected starting date is on or after July 1, 2023. Normally, faculty members holding a continuing 0.5 teaching position will teach four one-term courses across three terms annually. The teaching assignment will be primarily for ECON 220W, a writing-intensive course which emphasizes language and communication skills.
Teaching excellence is the primary criterion for this position. The successful candidate will have a PhD completed by the employment start date or shortly thereafter. Only those eligible to be appointed to the rank of Lecturer will be considered.
Ideally, the candidate
· has formal training in EAL/TESL/second language acquisition
· has significant teaching experience in post-secondary education
· holds a PhD in Economics, or closely related field
SFU is a university that serves students of diverse ethnic, cultural, linguistic and international origins. Therefore, interest and/or experience in working in multicultural and international settings with students who have diverse backgrounds is a desired attribute of all applicants.
Applications must include a CV, three confidential letters of reference, and a teaching dossier which demonstrates your teaching effectiveness. The teaching dossier should include:
· a two-page summary describing your teaching philosophy, emphasizing your approach to teaching EAL students, and any work on course and curriculum development and/or pedagogical innovation;
· and, for the most recent courses taught (up to 8 courses):
- instructional materials: syllabi, sample exams and assignments, grading rubrics;
- teaching evaluations (including both raw data and summary statistics) and/or a letter of reference from someone who has observed the candidate teaching; and
- a statement summarizing and contextualizing the evidence presented.
Application instructions are available on our website at https://www.sfu.ca/economics/about/careers.html
Email inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is subject to the availability of funding.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. SFU is an equity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university.
We acknowledge the Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw), Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), TsleilWaututh, Katzie, and Kwikwetlem peoples, on whose traditional territories Simon Fraser University's three campuses stand. By recognizing the Unceded Traditional Coast Salish territories, we aspire to create space for reconciliation through dialogue and decolonizing practices.
Under the authority of the University Act, personal information that is required by the University for academic appointment competitions will be collected. For further details see: http://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/Faculty_Openings/Collection_Notice.html
LECTURE OPENING (0.5 FTE) Simon Fraser University Department of Economics
Information provided in this application will help us organize our recruiting process. The information you submit is treated confidentially. Under authority of the University Act, personal information that is required by the University in appointment competitions will be collected. For further details, please see the Collection Notice.
- Click on New Application.
- Under Search by Criteria, filter results by selecting Any Field in the Categories menu, and Simon Fraser University in the Institutions menu.
- Click Apply Now to begin the application process.