Inquiry-based Learning and the Reggio-Inspired Classroom, Burnaby
1. Before Applying (Admission Requirements and Documents)
c) Have a valid credit card to pay the application fee (Visa or Mastercard). Please contact the Field Programs office before completing your online application if you do not have either of these credit cards.
d) Have contact information for two references, including their email addresses.
We strongly recommend that you obtain letters of reference from administrators or colleagues. Please note that colleagues may not provide a reference if they are also applying to the same Graduate Diploma in Education program.
Reference letters must be specific to this application and must address your:
- engagement in ongoing professional development
- participation in collaborative learning and teaching
- willingness and ability to critically examine professional practice, and
- any other personal or professional qualities that may support your application (for example, organization, commitment and follow-through, interpersonal skills, etc.)
e) Be prepared to gather the required supporting documents. You will be prompted to upload the following documents after your application has been submitted and your application fee has been paid:
- Newly issued paper official transcript(s) – we do not accept official electronic transcripts
- Statement of interest
- Concise summary of professional teaching assignments
- Photocopy of valid teaching certificate
- Photocopy of current TQS category card
- Additional documentation if your undergraduate GPA is below 2.5
(See #3 below for more details on these requirements.)
- Location: S.D. #41 Burnaby, BC
- Suited for: Elementary teachers
- Start Term: Fall 2017 (Sep)
- End Term: Summer 2019 (Aug)
- Apply: Applications now closed
- 2017/18 Tuition: $301.80/unit
(Students register for 5 units per term)
2. Apply Online
3. Online Submission of Supporting Documents (PDF uploads)
The Online Application System will request that you upload the following documents in pdf form:
a) Transcript(s) from a recognized university/ies showing your undergraduate degree and the last 60 units of letter-graded undergraduate coursework. Please ensure that all pages are uploaded, including the grading scale (found on the back).
Note: A hard paper copy of each official transcript must also be submitted to the Field Programs office in its original sealed envelope. (See #4 below)
Applicants who attended SFU only do not need to send official transcripts.
b) Statement of interest. Please consider the following questions as you prepare your statement of interest:
- What interested you in this program?
- What do you hope to learn? How do you think this program might enhance your work in education?
- What previous professional development and/or coursework (if any) have you had in this area?
- In what ways do you see yourself contributing to a learning community of colleagues?
c) Concise summary of professional teaching assignments. These should be listed from current to past.
d) Photocopy of valid professional teaching certificate. Please upload the 8½”x11” British Columbia College of Teachers or British Columbia Teacher Regulation Branch certificate, not your BCCT membership card.
e) Photocopy of current TQS Category card. If you cannot find your card you must either apply to TQS for a replacement card, or submit a copy of a recent pay slip showing your TQS category if this is shown. (NB: not all district pay slips provide this information.)
f) Applicants with undergraduate GPAs less than 2.5.
If your undergraduate GPA is less than 2.5 you must also include evidence of your commitment to successful completion of an academic program of study at the graduate level, which may take the form of:
- an illustration of changes in attitude toward learning and professional development since their undergraduate experience; and/or
- a description of any difficulties that complicated those earlier studies.
4. Submit Official Transcripts
Unless you attended SFU only for your undergraduate degree, you must submit a copy of your paper transcript(s) in their original sealed envelope(s). We do not accept official electronic transcripts.
Note: The Field Programs office cannot accept responsibility for providing or requesting any documents on your behalf other than SFU transcripts.
If you are Submitting by mail:
You may arrange to have your transcript(s) sent directly to our office from the issuing institution OR you may mail them directly to our office, provided they are sent in their original sealed envelopes.
Please make sure they are correctly addressed to:
Faculty of Education
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC Canada
Documents not adequately addressed may be incorrectly delivered at the university or remain undelivered - we cannot accept responsibility for tracking these down.
If you are Submitting in person:
Visit us at Burnaby Campus in the Education Building (room 8515)
Your transcripts may be delivered to any SFU campus up to one week before the published deadline. After that time, all transcripts must be delivered directly to the Field Programs office at the Burnaby campus to ensure receipt by the deadline.
Please note the following:
- Admission to the GDE is competitive and if we receive more applications than we can accommodate, they will be considered in the order that complete packages are received.
- Applications and ALL supporting documents must be received by the posted deadlines in order to guarantee consideration for admission.
- If cohort capacity is reached before the deadline, applications may be closed early.
- Priority will be given to teachers from sponsoring districts; however, applicants from other districts can often be accommodated.
- Teachers receiving Tuition Fee Credits for supervising student teachers from SFU's Professional Programs may apply these to fees in a Graduate Diploma Program. Please see our fees page and the Tuition Fee Credit webpage for more information.
If you have any questions about the application process please e-mail Siân Owen at edprgpasfu.ca or call her at 778.782.4892 and she will be happy to assist you.