Student Teacher Photo Contest
To maximize our ability to support our students and student teachers during COVID-19 pandemic, we are postponing the student teacher photo contest for 2021. We look forward to announcing the new contest dates soon.
Each year, Preservice Professional Studies invites students teachers to submit photos and videos that best depict their teacher education experience at SFU. Photos must be submitted in one of four categories and prizes are awarded to the best submissions in each category. Past prizes have included Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones and gift certificate to the SFU Bookstore.
All photos must be submitted in one of the following categories:
In the Classroom
- Spaces and student work
- Students, faculty associates and faculty members on campus
- Photos that reflect education and student life
- Photos taken of people during the program, including student teachers, faculty associates, school associates, faculty members
- Module work
- Retreats and/or field trips
- Guest speakers
- Student teachers from your module
- People in international settings
- International scenes
- Cultural sculptures, art and crafts
- Cultural and international events
- Wildlife and nature scenes
- 'Best Overall Photo' will win a pair of Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones valued at $399.
- 'Best Photo' in each category will win a $75 SFU Bookstore Gift Certificate.
- 'Best Video' will win a pair of Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones valued at $399.
All prizes must be claimed within 6 months of notification.
Video Contest (ITEM)
Students who participated in ITEM India or Mexico are also eligible to enter the video contest in addition to the photo content.
Video entries must be between 1-3 minutes in length and 1 MB (or larger).
- Entrants must be currently enrolled in the Professional Development Program (PDP), Professional Linking Program (PLP) or Professional Qualification Program (PQP)
- Entrants must have participated in the one of the programs listed above within the past year
Eligible submissions MUST meet the following criteria:
- Must have been taken by the participant;
- Must be in high resolution digital format (we may not be able to accept photographs that are less than 1000 pixels tall or wide);
- Must be renamed with the following file naming convention:
(examples: Jane_Doe_ModuleLife.jpg, Chris_Smith_InTheClassroom.jpeg)
- Must be in original standard size; (photographs may not be cropped); and
- Must have an accompanying consent form if photo includes children or adults.
Submissions can be entered into any of the four categories, but there is a maximum of four (4) submissions in total per student. i.e., you may enter all four of your submissions into a single category or you may spread them over the four categories.
Photography including children or adults MUST have a signed consent form (forms can be downloaded below):
- Photographs with adults must be accompanied by a completed Adult Consent Form
- Photographs with children must be accompanied by the completed Child Consent Form
Two finalists in each category, along with additional honourable mentions, will be printed, framed, and put on display in the Faculty of Education building. All prints and digital copies will become the property of Professional Programs, which reserves the right to display and publish winning entries. By entering our competition, you will be giving Professional Programs permission to use your photos for future promotional purposes.
How to Submit
Email your high resolution digital photos to the Professional Programs office at email@example.com. Make sure your submission email includes:
- Subject Line: Photo Contest - your name (ex. Photo Contest - Jerry Reynolds)
- Attached high resolution photos. Do not send any photos that are smaller than 1000 pixels tall/wide.
- Attached completed consent form (if required)