Undergraduate Studies in Education

Bachelor of General Studies in Education


Applicants must meet SFU's minimum Undergraduate Admission requirements, including the Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements.

A maximum of 60 units may be transferred from accredited institutions. 

Students are encouraged to review courses that require a Criminal Records Check (CRC) before enrolling. Find out more about the SFU CRC here


Since fall 2006, students need to meet SFU's writing, quantitative and breadth requirements as part of any degree program they may undertake. See Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements for university-wide information.

Note: a grade of C- or better is required to earn W, Q or B credit.

Writing (W)

  • 6 units
  • Must include at least one upper division course taken at SFU within the student's major subject

Quantitative (Q)

  • 6 units
  • Courses may be lower or upper division

Breadth (B)

  • 18 units (designated breadth)
  • Must be outside the student's major subject and may be lower or upper division, but must include:
    • 6 units Social Sciences (B-Soc)
    • 6 units Humanities (B-Hum)
    • 6 units Sciences (B-Sci)
  • 6 units (additional breadth)
  • Must be outside the student's major subject and may or may not be B-designated courses and will likely help fulfil individual degree program requirements


SFU's residency requirement stipulates that, in most cases, total transfer and course challenge credit may not exceed 60 units and may not include more than 15 as upper division work.

You may transfer a maximum of 60 units into the BGS in Education from accredited institutions. Students from SFU-approved programs such as AHCOTE, the Professional Linking Program or other approved Faculty of Education programs may transfer an additional 30 units from an accredited degree-granting institution, providing 30 of the required 45 upper division units are SFU courses, and any W course within the required 45 must be completed at SFU.

Also note that any minor program must include at least seven upper division units earned at SFU.

See “Undergraduate Degree Requirements” for regulations.


In addition to the courses listed above, students should consult an academic advisor to plan the remaining required elective courses.


Contact undergraduate programs at educuga@sfu.ca or make an appointment with an advisor

Our Students

Disclaimer: The information provided for this program is to be used as a reference. Should any discrepancies occur between the information found on this page and the SFU Calendar, the information found in the SFU Calendar shall be deemed correct. Go to the SFU Calendar >>