Undergraduate Studies in Education
Friends of Simon
Friends of Simon is an award-winning program that recruits, prepares, and assigns university students as literacy tutors in the Lower Mainland, particularly with newcomer K-12 students.
As a Friends of Simon tutor, you'll serve in multicultural settings and contribute to the school success of newcomers to Canada. Thanks to the generosity of sponsors, tutors earn hourly wages that help them with their own university expenses.
Instruction is based on current trends in pedagogy and tutors receive their training and supervision from members of the Faculty of Education who themselves are involved in educational research.
WHY BECOME A FRIENDS OF SIMON TUTOR?
- Develop professional abilities such as leadership, public speaking, communication, team building and organizational skills
- Make a difference in local communities
- Learn instructional practices
- Work as a team member with other like-minded students from a variety of faculties and disciplines
- Have fun and meet new people!