Study Permit

A study permit is required if you wish to study in a course or program of study at SFU that is longer than 6 months in duration. You can apply for a study permit online or by paper to the responsible visa office or visa application centre. Please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for more information.

Depending on your nationality or citizenship, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) as well. To see if you require a TRV or eTA, please visit the IRCC website.

The visa officer will process your application for a TRV or eTA at the same time as your study permit. You do not need a separate application.

We will supply you with a Letter of Acceptance after you have paid the complete tuition for the period of time you are planning to study in the English Language and Culture Program.

If your studies will extend beyond the expiry date on your study permit, you will need to apply to extend your study permit before it expires. You can apply online or by paper to extend your study permit. Please visit the IRCC website for more information. If you have questions about how to apply, please contact a SFU International Student Advisor.