- About FASS
- Departments and programs
- Faculty & staff portal
Employee Achievement Awards
FASS Employee Achievement Awards recognize the dedication and hard work of FASS employees including staff, continuing faculty and temporary instructors (teaching assistants, sessional instructors, and term teaching and research faculty) in our collective service to the arts, humanities and social sciences and to our communities.
Dr. Jane Pulkingham, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS), is pleased to announce the 2020 nomination deadline for the annual FASS Employee Achievement Awards.
There are three categories of award:
- FASS staff awards
- FASS awards for employees in non-continuing teaching positions
- FASS changemaker award
Winners of the 2019 FASS Employee Achievement Awards
- Lifetime contributions: Malcolm Toms, Manager, Network Operations
- Individual work performance: Eliza So, Undergraduate Program Assistant, Political Science
- Teaching assistant or tutor marker: Anthony Nguyen, Philosophy
- Sessional instructor: Nicole Muir, Psychology
- Limited term instructor: Mark Deggan, World Literature
How to nominate
Nominations will be solicited from all students registered in FASS classes, FASS faculty members, and staff.
Nominations must be submitted electronically using the FASS Nomination Form and include a letter of nomination that briefly describes why the individual or team merits the award and addresses the criteria listed above. Only one nominator signature is required; however, additional signatures from students, faculty, or staff will be viewed favorably by the committee. Scanned original signatures will be accepted, but computer-generated signatures without original signatures will not.
Nominees will be notified of their nomination and asked if they would like their nominations to stand, except for the Staff Team Award for which the Team Leader/Manager may consent on behalf of the Team. Nominees may submit additional materials for consideration by the Awards Committee; such materials should be accompanied by a cover note itemizing the additional materials submitted.
Please note: for the Teaching Award, each nominee will be asked to submit course evaluations and course outlines and/or tutorial lesson plans from 3 or more courses or for the same course/different semesters. Nominees may submit additional materials for consideration by the Awards Committee. All materials should be accompanied by a cover note itemizing the additional materials submitted.
The nomination deadline for 2020 is June 2, 2020. The FASS Employee Awards nomination form and all other nomination materials must be submitted electronically as a single attachment to email@example.com. Where possible, prior to submission of the nomination package, nominators should notify nominees and seek their acceptance via signature on the nomination form.
Nominees may submit additional materials; teaching awards require submission of some teaching materials (see below). Materials should be submitted electronically as a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FASS staff awards
FASS staff are proud of their work and often go well out of their way to deliver excellent service and creative ideas that improve the lives of those around them. Awarded to staff in FASS with at least two years of full-time employment (or equivalent) in FASS in recognition of efforts made over the previous two years or at least 15 years for the Lifetime Contributions award.
Awarded annually in each of the following categories (ties may be considered):
- Individual Work Performance: To recognize a FASS staff member who demonstrates work performance that is consistently above and beyond their job description.
- Team: To recognize a high-performing team which exemplifies collaboration and cooperation and which demonstrates a significant contribution with results on behalf of their Department/unit and FASS.
- Lifetime Contributions: To recognize sustained leadership and commitment to FASS over the course of their employment.
FASS awards for employees in non-continuing teaching positions
FASS employs many excellent teachers on a temporary basis as teaching assistants/tutor markers (TA/TM), sessional instructors, and term teaching and research faculty. In SFU’s annual student surveys, FASS students consistently report the highest satisfaction with FASS teachers, who deliver inspirational teaching, spark and mentor our students, and serve their departments in multiple ways.
This award will complement the FASS Cormack Teaching Award given to continuing faculty by recognizing individuals who are not continuing faculty and who excel in one or more of the following areas: engaging students in discovery of new knowledge; introducing innovative pedagogical approaches to learning that stimulates student interest and understanding of complex material; encouraging and supporting student learning; organizing and delivering an interesting and challenging syllabus that engages students at appropriate levels; exemplifying collegiality, professionalism and interdisciplinary respect.
Awarded once per year in each of the following categories (ties may be considered), each nominee is eligible for one award per year:
- Teaching assistant or tutor marker
- Sessional instructor
- Term teaching or research faculty
FASS changemaker award
The third category of award recognizes the importance of identifying what we can do better and then making it happen: fresh insights, a significant improvement or even a revolution in a business or teaching process or other activity undertaken in the past two years that significantly improves some aspect of what FASS does and so has lasting impact and benefits for our students and our communities.
A single award will be granted to a nominee from the following categories:
- Continuing faculty with at least two years of full-time experience (or equivalent) in FASS
- Term teaching or research faculty or sessional instructors who have taught for at least three semesters out of the previous six semesters in FASS
- Staff with at least two years of full-time experience (or equivalent) in FASS
Award winners in 2018