Join us as an EnvironMentor!
EnvironMentors are volunteers drawn from senior Environment programs (minimum 60 units (or close enough!) completed by end of April, 2017). Through training and experience, they will gain leadership and communication skills while connecting our new students to the people of and opportunities at SFU, in the Faculty and within their own program. EnvironMentors are not just passionate about SFU and their program, they’re also passionate about strengthening their community.
MANDATORY TRAINING: FRIDAY, MARCH 10, 4:00pm – 8:00pm (SFU Burnaby, TASC2 8570)
The EnvironMentor’s Role
- Provide support and guidance to new Environment students online, on the phone and/or face-to-face by sharing your experiences at SFU, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Keep a record of your meetings and note common questions and/or trends occurring; keep all information shared by your buddy confidential (unless unsafe) and regularly update the Manager, Recruitment, especially if any concerns arise.
- Be knowledgeable about university resources and support services, which will come as part of your training.
- Share your enthusiasm for your education and community involvement with new students!
Your commitment involves: a desire to help new students make connections at SFU, training, willingness to sign confidentiality agreement, phone contact with your buddies, commitment to at least three meetings (online, phone or in-person) with your assigned buddies in the Fall term, participation in reflection/evaluation at end of the term.
Deadline to apply is noon on Tuesday, March 7, 2017.
Interested in becoming an EnvironMentor? The ideal candidate will:
- Be a continuing undergraduate student with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 who is pursuing a degree program in Environment.
- Demonstrate attentiveness, reliability, accountability and mature judgement.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Be comfortable working with a diverse group of people.
- Have good time management skills and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Have ready access to email for communication among fellow EnvironMentors and your buddies.