How do I declare a major or minor in Health Sciences?

Students require a CGPA of 2.5 and the following three courses to declare a major or a minor in Health Sciences:

  • HSCI 130
  • HSCI 100 or BISC 101
  • a 200 level HSCI course

Courses in progress will not be considered. After the course and GPA requirements are met, please book an appointment with the advisor to declare a major or minor in Health Sciences. There are no deadlines. Students can declare a major as soon they have satisfied the requirements listed above.

Why can't I get into an upper division HSCI course?

All 300 and 400 level HSCI courses are reserved for Health Sciences majors during the first three weeks of enrollment. At the end of the three week period (open enrollment), any student can enroll in the class if they have the prerequisites and if there is space remaining in the course.

How many repeats am I allowed?

Be careful about repeating classes. You are allowed a maximum of five repeats in your entire degree. This regulation is strictly enforced in the Faculty of Health Sciences. Further, more than one repeat of a specific class is not allowed unless you are given special permission by the department involved.

My semester is not going as well as I expected. How do I drop a course?

It is important to be aware of the deadlines for withdrawing from courses. After a certain point in the semester, students cannot withdraw from a course on their own. Check the deadlines here: www.sfu.ca/students/calendar

However, if there is an extenuating circumstance that is affecting your ability to complete a course, you can apply for a Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstance notation (WE) after the drop deadline. See: www.sfu.ca/students/appeals/withdrawals/WE_guidelines.html

Dropping courses can have an impact on your future financial assistance. Please contact a Financial Aid Advisor to let them know you have applied for a withdrawal: www/sfu.ca/students/financialaid/

Always, consider meeting with an academic advisor to discuss your situation to see what your options are, and what resources are available to support you.

My grades are not as high as I would like. What can I do?

Learning to become a better student is part of the process of adjusting to university. Organizing your time and being aware of your commitments well in advance of the mid-term crunch will help tremendously.

Receiving feedback on your assignments and papers so that you can make improvements for the next assignment is another very good habit. Do talk to your instructor, and go to office hours to get additional support throughout the semester.

Meet with the staff at the Student Learning Commons to help improve your time management skills, to get feedback on writing style or to develop other learning strategies. Consider hiring a tutor for a course you know will be challenging.

Finally, meet with an academic advisor and/or a career advisor to have a clear idea of where you stand in relation to your academic and career goals.