Emergency and Safety Information


Emergency and Safety Information

In an emergency call 911

1.       Call 9-1-1 from any phone, but if you can call from a campus phone, Campus Security will be automatically notified of the call location. A phone is located in every classroom.

2.       If you are unsure if it is an emergency, always err on the side of caution.

3.       When you call 9-1-1, you will be asked if you need police, fire or ambulance, what is happening and the location.

Urgent assistance is available 24/7 at each of our campuses

·         Emergency line (urgent security/first aid): 778-782-4500

·         Non-emergency line (security/Safe Walk): 778-782-7991

Campus Security provides emergency support, first aid response, and guides emergency responders (fire, ambulance, police) to the right place on campus quickly.


Drug Overdose

If you witness an individual suffering a suspected drug overdose, follow general emergency procedures (shown above): call 9-1-1.

Campus Security can get to a person suffering overdose on campus 24/7 and administer Narcan/Naloxone spray (if appropriate for the situation) while awaiting external emergency services personnel. This service is available at all SFU Campuses. Health and Counselling Services also has Narcan/Naloxone in the clinics, which can be administered by a doctor or nurse during clinic hours. 

For more information on overdose prevention and response, click here.


Safe Walk Program

The Safe Walk Program provides SFU community members with a Campus Security escort to support safe travel on campus 24/7.

The Safe Walk escort is provided by either a security officer or a student campus safety member. These Safe Walk personnel are equipped with portable radios and flashlights and are in direct communication with the Security Operations Centre dispatcher. Safe Walk personnel can be identified by a valid SFU Campus Security picture identification card.

To request a Safe Walk escort:

·         Call the Campus Security non-emergency line at 778-782-7991, or

·         Use any of the direct dial telephones located across campus

Remember that you cannot reserve a Safe Walk time; you must call when you need the escort.


Lone Worker Program

If you’re working after hours, contact Campus Security to request the Lone Worker program. Campus Security will have one of their patrol people include your work location on their patrol route, to check on you from time to time, either in person or over the phone. If you do not wish to be bothered, you can let Campus Public Safety know where you are and what time you expect to stay until. If at that time they do not hear from you, they will either phone or physically attend to check up on you.  This service is available 24/7, at all 3 campuses. 


For more information on both programs, including how to request the services, click here.