Economic Impacts & Labour/Roles (UK)
Examples of different economic impacts on gender dominated industries and on care roles
- Paid and unpaid carers facing poverty
- Tourism sector likley to suffer greatest job losses post-lockdown
- Likely lack of jobs for school leavers and graduates
- Women could be worse off in post-COVID recession
- Women's academic output plummets during lockdown
- Women one third more likely than men to work in a sector that is now shut down: one in six (17% of) female employees were in such sectors, compared to one in seven (13% of) male employees.
- Low earners are seven times as likely as high earners to have worked in a sector that is now shut down. Fully one third of employees in the bottom tenth of the earnings distribution work in shut down sectors versus just 5% of those in the top 10%.