- BA, Psychology, Simon Fraser University
- MSc, Clinical Psychology, University of Washington
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Washington
Dr. Julian Somers completed his clinical training at the University of Washington, Seattle’s Harbourview Hospital, and British Columbia’s Children’s Hospital. He was Director of the UBC Psychology Clinic and President of the BC Psychological Association.
Dr. Somers has led Provincial and multi-jurisdictional programs addressing public health crises spanning physical and mental health, substance use, social welfare, public safety, and housing. He began his academic career in the UBC Faculty of Medicine, and is currently Full Professor in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University.
The Somers Research Group is internationally recognized for public health initiatives with governmental, private, and not-for-profit collaborators. Dr. Somers has led large-scale applied randomized trials, multi-site interventions, and population-level studies described in over 100 publications. He has also created advanced information systems for public health surveillance and to evaluate the effectiveness of policies and services.
Members of the Somers Research Group have garnered numerous awards and distinctions for research in the public interest. Dr. Somers serves as an advisor to senior officials in government and corporate roles and is a frequent media contributor
Publications and Activities
- Expanding Housing First for homeless adults in Metro Vancouver
- Evaluation of the Downtown Community Court
- Determinants of health and safety: Using population-level data and a life course framework to examine risk, resilience, and pathways to health among offenders with mental illness
- Estimating the prevalence and distribution of people with servere addiction and or mental illness who are homeless
- The chronically mental ill and the justice, health, and social service sectors
- Drug Treatment Court 4 - Evaluation of key component collaborations