Waterfront Station

 

1914-1970

Built in 1914 by the Canadian Pacific Railway, Waterfront station served as the pacific terminus for transcontinental passenger trains from places such as Montreal and Toronto. It was built by the Montreal architectural firm of Barott, Blackader and Webster. It served as the first impression of Vancouver for the many people that would travel by train. Waterfron Station served as a transportation as well as cultural hotspot. It was built at 601 West Cordova Street making it a central hub for exploring Granville Street, Gastown or any of the other great neighborhoods that Vancouver had to offer. This station was built in a neo-classical style and remains as impressive today as the day it was completed.

Photo by Alan Tabbernor.

Today

Waterfront Station became a fully public transit facility in 1977 when SeaBus began its operations connected to the building. It is now seen as a gateway to many different destinations in Greater Vancouver with passengers able to access the WestCoast Express, SeaBus, Skytrain and bus services all under one roof. It still provides citizens and visitors of Vancouver easy access to many of the city's attractions; within walking distance of many of them or through one of the many public transportation options offered through the city.

Waterfront station in 1914 (left) and in 2010 (right)

Photo courtesty of http://www.flickr.com/people/entheos_fog/