Seminar - What Is Geography? 2015-16 #1

October 01, 2015

Seminar #1 : Calculating on This Round Earth: Using map projections to understand the globe

• Speaker : Prof. Nicholas Chrisman   Editor, Cartography and GIScience
  • Date : Tuesday, Oct. 1st
  • Time : 12:30 ~ 2:00 pm
  • Blurb : Nicholas Chrisman was Professor of Geospatial Science at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, and Professor of Geomatics Sciences at the Universit√© Laval as Scientific Director of the GEOIDE network. His research has concentrated on time in GIS, data quality testing and the social and institutional aspects of GIS. He now lives in Bellingham, Washington.
  • Seminar Summary: For generations, cartographers and geographers have simplified space onto a flat plane out of necessity. Geodesy was considered an arcane science, known from a distance but ignored in any detail. In this talk, I will cover what I learned in teaching map projections and calculations on the ellipsoid to surveyors, a more demanding audience than geographer-cartographers. I had thought that the age of projections was finished, but found instead that this is a time for many projections. I also appreciate the ethical concern in choosing models to understand this World.
  • Coordinator: Dr. Janet Sturgeon
Print