Hilda Fernandez presents in Spectacle of Fascism Conference

April 07, 2017

The situationist and the psychoanalyst: (mis)encounter between love and finitude

Geography PhD Student,  Hilda Fernández Álvarez presents in Spectacle of Fascism Conference collaboratively hosted by the Institute for the Humanities of Simon Fraser University and Cinevolution Media Arts Society.

• Date: April 7th
  • Time: 3:00 pm
  • Location: Djavad Mowafaghian World Art Centre, Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, 149 W Hastings St.

"The situationist and the psychoanalyst: (mis)encounter between love and finitude"

A young situationist, aka "Anatole Atlas", walked into the Seminar of the influential French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan in the fall of 1972 in Louvain, Belgium. Before he is interrupted, Lacan is talking about language, death and transference, central concepts of the theory of the subject of the Freudian unconscious; on his part, the situationist intervenes bringing about notions that seemed to be extracted from Debord’s “Society of the Spectacle” about alienation, separation, the spectacle and revolutionary action.

Both psychoanalysis and the S.I. are radically critical of contemporary subjectivities captured by the imaginary. These protagonists hold an ethical imperative that is emancipatory at core; both want to shake the establishment by means of an act. I invite you to think of the (mis)encounter between these two men, however uneven, brief and insignificant in its consequences, as the epitome of social interactions in which dialogue becomes impossible and aggressiveness prevailed.

Envisioned as a dérive within the conference room, in this performative reading I will reflect on aporias on love, aggressiveness, finitude, thought, embodiment and desire. accompanied by five flamenco dancers (Katalina Cruz, Yurie Kaneko, Maria Avila, Milagros Palacios and Katia Flores) and a singer (Farnaz Ohadi).

Print