The first step after receiving confirmation of your award is to apply for admissions as a Visiting Research Student (for undergraduate and graduate students), or to establish an appointment as a postdoctoral fellow at Simon Fraser University.

For Undergraduate and/or Graduate students: 

SFU International will send you complete information on how to apply as a Visiting Research Student. To familiarize yourself with the process and for application documents, please select one of the following that applies to you:

  • STEP 1. Students will receive instructions on how to apply as an Undergraduate or Graduate Visiting Research Student (VRS) from SFU International.
    • Completed forms and supplemental documents need to be submitted to Please note that travel dates must be confirmed prior to completing SFU's VRS application.
  • STEP 2. SFU International will send the VRS application package for approval. The admission process may take up to 2 weeks. 
    • Please note, travel dates must be confirmed at this point. 
    • Students will be introduced to advisors from International Student Services (ISS) who will provide information on immigration and preparation. 
  • STEP 3. Apply for on-campus housing (only applicable for students visiting in the Summer Term). If you are looking for accommodation off campus, refer to this website for resources and guidance.


Postdoctoral Fellows (PDF)

Postdoctoral Fellows are required to apply for a work permit during their stay at SFU (if their stay exceeds 120 days). Please contact for assistance with the application process.   

The Postdoctoral Fellow must send the following to

  • Completed Postdoctoral Fellow Appointment form
  • A scanned copy of the following documents: 
    • Passport  
    • CV
    • Transcript (confirming PhD completion) 
    • Letter of employment from home institution

Faculty Relations will: 

  • Forward the Invitation Letter and Employment Number to the postdoctoral fellow which is required for the work permit application

The Postdoctoral Fellow will use the following documents and information to apply for the work permit: 

  • Invitation letter
  • Offer of employment number 

Note: The Postdoctoral Fellow is required to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for employment in Canada. Please contact for more information.

Please ensure you have adequate medical insurance for the duration of your stay. For more information on medical insurance options available to you, see here

Before you arrive in Canada, it is important to make sure that you have obtained the appropriate immigration documents, secured housing and purchased the appropriate health insurance. 

Please check each individual page for detailed information: