Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here - A Commemorative Reading Night
Saturday, March 5th, 2016. 5pm-7pm
SFU Harbour Centre, Room 7000
This event is organized by Shawq Ani, GLS 2015 Cohort
On March 5th, 2007, Al-Mutanabbi Street, the heart and soul of the Baghdad literary and intellectual community, became the target of a suicide bombing.
In response to the bombing, Beau Beausoleil, a San Francisco-based poet and bookseller, started "Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here", a literary project commemorating Baghdad's devasted bookselling street and standing in solidarity with the Iraqi people and their cultural communities.
Join us for a commemorative reading night, honouring Al-Mutanabbi Street, the heart and soul of Baghdad's cultural and literary landscape.
The readings will include contemporary literature from Iraqi novelists Inaam Kachachi, Sinan Antoon and Betool Khedairi among others, classical and modern Arabic poetry, and an author reading by GLS MA graduate Dima Yassine. There will also be a screening of a short report about Iraqi artist Wafaa Bilal's project to restock and rebuild the University of Baghdad's Fine Arts library after the devastation post-2003 invasion.
* All readings in Arabic will be followed with English translations.
More details and RSVP here.
News and Events
- Save the Date! GLS Open House & Winter Social: Friday, November 15
- David Loy: Wisdom Amidst Crisis, September 19, 2019
- A Fateful Voyage: Kate Kennedy, May 22, 2019
- Upcoming GLS MA Defence, Spring 2019
- GLS Open House November 29, 2018
- GLS Winter Social 2018
- Upcoming GLS MA Defences, Fall 2018
- Jim Babcock Lecture in Liberal Studies
- Save the Date! GLS Summer Social: Friday, July 20th
- GLS Open House - March 8
- GLS Open Houses - Jan 26 & Feb 23
- Exciting Changes in GLS Administration
- 2018 Bowen Island Retreat
- Save the Date! GLS Winter Social: Friday, Dec. 8th
- Jennifer Chutter featured in the Vancouver Metro newspaper