Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here - A Commemorative Reading Night
Saturday, March 5th, 2016. 5pm-7pm
SFU Harbour Centre, Room 7000
This event is organized by Shawq Ani, GLS 2015 Cohort
On March 5th, 2007, Al-Mutanabbi Street, the heart and soul of the Baghdad literary and intellectual community, became the target of a suicide bombing.
In response to the bombing, Beau Beausoleil, a San Francisco-based poet and bookseller, started "Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here", a literary project commemorating Baghdad's devasted bookselling street and standing in solidarity with the Iraqi people and their cultural communities.
Join us for a commemorative reading night, honouring Al-Mutanabbi Street, the heart and soul of Baghdad's cultural and literary landscape.
The readings will include contemporary literature from Iraqi novelists Inaam Kachachi, Sinan Antoon and Betool Khedairi among others, classical and modern Arabic poetry, and an author reading by GLS MA graduate Dima Yassine. There will also be a screening of a short report about Iraqi artist Wafaa Bilal's project to restock and rebuild the University of Baghdad's Fine Arts library after the devastation post-2003 invasion.
* All readings in Arabic will be followed with English translations.
More details and RSVP here.
News and Events
- Announcing the 2017 Shadbolt Seminar Series: "Arts, Criticism and the City"
- Congratulations to Julie Andreyev, the first SAR/GLS PhD Candidate to successfully defend her Doctoral dissertation!
- Martha Nussbaum Event Photo Gallery
- Andrew Czink, Featured by FASS
- Julie Andreyev: PhD Thesis Defence
- Big Idea Seminar Series - Spring 2017
- Martha Nussbaum: Anger & Revolutionary Justice
- Catriona Strang's Thesis Project Performance - February 18, 2017
- GLS Open House - February 22, 2017
- Evening Seminar with Dr. Rebecca Scott Yoshizawa
- GLS Open House - January 9, 2017
- GLS Featured on Roundhouse Radio
- Save the Date: Our Winter Social is on December 2nd!
- Martha Nussbaum Event Announcement
- SFU Vancouver Open House