NOTE: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our application due dates have been extended. For those who are already working on an application for Fall 2020, we will extend the deadline to April 30th, 2020 and longer for reference letters to arrive.
If you would like to begin an application but have not yet had an opportunity to do so, we will accept late application to the program through June 15th, 2020. Please contact GLS to set up a late application via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for graduate studies online, use the Dean of Graduate Studies online application form and refer to our application checklist below.
Application to the Graduate Liberal Studies program is competitive. Enrolment is limited to up to 20 students per year. Not all applicants will be interviewed and not all those interviewed can be admitted.
- Complete the online application form and pay the Graduate Studies application fee of $90.
The following must be uploaded by April 30.
- A 3–4 page essay addressing the following questions:
- Why have you decided to pursue graduate study in an interdisciplinary program?
- How can the Liberal Studies program further your personal and/or professional aims?
- What special abilities, personal qualities and life experiences do you bring to the program?
- Applicants are invited to upload an additional sample of written work such as a recent paper or article, or piece of art, if they feel it would strengthen their application.
- Official transcript(s) of all post-secondary education (except that done at SFU). These must be sent directly from the institution, not by the applicant. We will scan the transcript to you in order for you to upload them to your application.
- Three letters of recommendation, which must also be uploaded from the writer and not by the applicant. Recommendations should be from individuals — whether colleagues or acquaintances — familiar with the applicant’s intellectual interests and abilities. (There is no special form or format for these letters.) You will find links to send to your references so that they can upload their letters directly on your application site.
Soon after the application deadline, we may contact the candidate to schedule an interview at a mutually convenient time. We will make every effort to notify applicants of their status before the end of May.