- Why Grad Studies at SFU?
- Programs Alphabetically
- Individualized Interdisciplinary Studies
- Accelerated Master's
- Tuition + Fees
- Visiting + Incoming Exchange
- Awards + Funding
- Graduate Students
- Getting Started
- Understanding Your Role
- Managing Your Program
- Completing + Graduation
- Postdoctoral Fellows
- Life + Community
- Community Guide
- Indigenous Graduate Students
- International Graduate Students
- Professional Development
- Jobs + Volunteering
- People + Research
- Highlights & Awards
- Grad Student + Postdoc Spotlight
- Travel Reports
- Grad Student + Postdoc Profiles
- Participate in Grad Student Research
- News + Events
- Faculty + Staff
- Individualized Interdisciplinary Studies in Graduate Studies
"[The comic book] is a humorous, playful and empathetic portrayal of my lived experiences but also explains why the arts matter, arguing that through the arts we can connect with one another, finding our common humanity. "
Master's Student Submits First Canadian Thesis at SFU in Comic Book Form
On June 15, 2018, Meghan Parker will be convocating with a Master of Arts degree in Education with a special distinction. She is the first Canadian student at SFU to submit and defend a thesis in comic book form.
Her Arts Education thesis, Art Teacher in Process: An Illustrated Exploration of Art, Education and What Matters, documents her lived experiences and reflections as a secondary school teacher in the North Vancouver school district.
Parker's thesis has received already received acclaim as she has been awarded the 2017 Arts Researchers Graduate Research Award as well as quite a bit of media attention as well.
Learn more about Parker and her thesis from the Faculty of Education.
- SFU News Article: https://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2018/06/comic-book-thesis-a-canadian-first.html
- CBC Article: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.4700930/b-c-art-teacher-submits-thesis-in-the-form-of-a-comic-book-1.4700932
- The Star Article: https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/06/12/it-became-my-language-bc-teacher-completes-thesis-in-comic-book-form.html