SFU’s Temporary Pool is a great way to gain experience working in many diverse assignments with one of BC’s Top Employers. The Temporary Pool provides temporary clerical, secretarial, and technical support for the University. This pool is open to all applicants.
Working through the Temporary Pool can provide employees with opportunities to:
- Work at the University's three campuses - Burnaby, Vancouver, and Surrey.
- Work in a variety of environments in both administrative and academic departments.
- Learn University policies and procedures.
- Gain experience and exposure within the University allowing them to explore and expand career options.
- Work as little or as much as their lifestyles demand.
- Accrue seniority while working in CUPE bargaining unit assignments and compete as internal candidates for posted continuing and temporary vacancies. Employees can be part of the Temporary Pool and simultaneously apply for posted positions.
Temporary Pool employees who want to maintain flexibility can remain in the Temporary Pool accepting assignments on a one-by-one basis. Additionally, the Temporary Pool is a recognized entry point to continuing employment at the University.
Structure of Assignments
- Assignments through the Regular Temporary Pool are full-time which means 35 hours per week.
- All assignments will have a duration of less than 3 months. Any temporary position of 3 months or greater will be posted for a minimum of 5 days on our Career Centre.
- Some of the assignments may be planned well in advance of the work start date, but many of the assignmenst are a response to an urgent need and require employees to be available on short notice.
- Assignments through the Temporary Pool will differ in the work performed, however, typical work includes:
- Office administration
- Data entry
- Word processing
- Graphic design
- Web design
- Event management
- Office administration
Qualifications for the Temporary Pool
We are committed to matching applicants’ job skills and experience to departmental needs in order to ensure the success of all departments and temporary employees. Although the qualifications for specific job assignments will vary, common qualifications include:
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- 2 years' experience in a broad range of office functions.
- 50 wpm keyboard skill with a high degree of accuracy.
- Software proficiency (e.g. Word, Excel, FileMaker, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Knowledge of Mac and PC platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Excellent knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential material and information with discretion.
- Good organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing office environments and assignment levels.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise mature judgement and initiative.
Pay and Benefits for Temporary Pool Positions in CUPE
The rate of pay for assignments will vary depending on the duties and responsibilities of the position. Temporary assignments fall within the CUPE bargaining unit and are covered by the negotiated salary schedule.
Temporary Pool employees will receive an additional 9% pay in lieu of benefits for all regular hours worked in a temporary position.
Apply online through our Career Centre or send the posting to a friend.