Return to Work

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who do I talk to about returning to work?

A. You will continue to communicate with your reporting supervisor (Supervisor, Manager, Chair, Director, Dean, etc.) and you will contact the Return to Work/Disability Management Advisor.

Q. Do I need permission to return to work?

A. Medical reporting supports your absence as being medically necessary and medical reporting supports your return to work as being medically appropriate.

Before coming back to work, you will provide your reporting supervisor with a medical certificate that reports whether, when and to what extent you should return to work. The Attending Physician's Statement form is usually the most efficient way of providing that information. Once your supervisor has read the medical certificate and determined that it is sufficient for your return to work, you will met with your supervisor and the Return to Work/Disability Management Advisor to plan a return to work schedule.

Guide to Return to Work

The services of the Simon Fraser University Wellness, Return to Work, Disability Program are available to employees (faculty, staff and supervisors) and their supervisors. The goal of the Program is to assist in the safe and appropriate return to work of employees from illness or injury.

Medical Absence

  • once you know that you will require medical absence from work, you submit medical certification to your reporting supervisor
  • the certificate should state whether your absence is medically necessary, explain your limitations and restrictions, and advise whether, when and to what degree it is expected you will be medically capable of returning to work

How to Participate in the Return to Work Program

  • your participation in the Return to Work Program is based on medical reporting
  • your physician provides consultation, medical opinions and prognosis as to your medical capacity to return to work
  • development and coordination of the return to work plan may involve physicians, para-medicals (e.g., physiotherapists and chiropractors), case managers of the Workers' Compensation Board, and others