Getting your Card
You need your SFU ID Card:
- To identify you for exams (mid-terms as well as finals)
- To prove you are permitted to use U-Pass BC on TransLink public transit
- To check out materials including computers from the Library
- To access dining hall and meal plans
- To qualify for student discounts
- To enjoy free entry to SFU Varsity games
Your card is automatically renewed whenever you enroll in courses. You must keep your card for the duration of your studies at SFU and thereafter as alumni. To learn more about your SFU card and how to use it, see Managing your SFU Card.
How to get your card
New Student ID cards
If you are a new student needing an SFU ID Card? you will be able to get your Student ID 24 hours after you have enrolled in courses.
Please make sure you bring a physical copy of acceptable ID with you and visit our Registrar and Information Services at any of one of our three campuses. Electronic ID copies are not accepted. If you have questions, please contact us.
* Acceptable photo identification
To get your SFU ID card, you must present one of the following valid photo IDs with your full name and date of birth in English (please note, expired documents will be rejected):
- Passport - must include a signed signature page
- Birth certificate*
- Canadian Driver’s licence
- Certificate of Indian Status
- GoCard (must be presented with birth certificate or CareCard)
- Canadian citizenship certificate*
- Permanent resident card
- Single Journey Travel Document
*Must be presented with photo ID, if photo not included.
Types of ID cards
SFU ID cards are automatically renewed whenever you enroll in courses. You must keep your card for the duration of your studies at SFU and thereafter as an alumnus.
Faculty and staff
Human Resources will notify you when your card is available to be produced. If you are working on campus and require an ID card, please visit Registrar and Information Services at any of our three campuses.
Read more >
There are two types of visitor card: the Athletics and Recreation Membership ID Card and the Library External Borrower Card.
Read more >
New FIC student
The Registrar and Information Services office at Burnaby can create student ID cards for Fraser International College (FIC) students, if they have an immediate need.