Getting your Card
At this time, we are only producing ID Cards for SFU community members with a demonstrated need, e.g. Students living in SFU Residence or Staff working on campus.
Your card is automatically renewed whenever you enroll in courses. You must keep your card for the duration of your studies at SFU and thereafter as alumni. To learn more about your SFU card and how to use it, see Managing your SFU Card.
Acceptable photo identification
To get your SFU ID card, you must present one of the following valid photo IDs with your full name and date of birth in English:
- Birth certificate*
- Driver’s licence
- Certificate of Indian Status
- GoCard (must be presented with birth certificate or CareCard)
- Federal government employee ID
- Provincial government employee ID
- Municipal government employee ID
- Canadian citizenship certificate*
- Permanent resident card
*Must be presented with photo ID, if photo not included.
- Photograph must be taken on a plain white background
- Photograph taken must show a full head
- Head coverings (eg, hats, headphones or masks) are not allowed unless worn for religious beliefs or medical reasons
- Tinted prescription glasses may be worn as long as the eyes are clearly visible
- Sunglasses may not be worn
- Smiling is allowed
- Photograph must not be altered in any way
- Photograph must reflect current appearance