Getting your Card
You may need your SFU ID Card for the following reasons:
- To identify you for virtual exams
- If you plan to visit campus or live in SFU Residence and Housing
- If you use your U-Pass BC to access TransLink public transit
- Free entry to SFU Athletics Varsity games/matches
In an effort to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus we have transitioned our ID Card production to an online process. Please complete the web form including identification to request your ID Card. Your card will be mailed to the mailing address you’ve provided in goSFU. Please check that you have the correct address listed. Pickup is limited to those students living in SFU Residence and Housing.
If you have questions about this process, please contact us.
Your card is automatically renewed whenever you enroll in courses. You must keep your card for the duration of your studies at SFU and thereafter as alumni. To learn more about your SFU card and how to use it, see Managing your SFU Card.
Acceptable photo identification
To get your SFU ID card, you must present one of the following valid photo IDs with your full name and date of birth in English (please note, expired documents will be rejected):
- Passport - must include a signed signature page
- Birth certificate*
- Driver’s licence
- Certificate of Indian Status
- GoCard (must be presented with birth certificate or CareCard)
- Federal government employee ID
- Provincial government employee ID
- Municipal government employee ID
- Canadian citizenship certificate*
- Permanent resident card
*Must be presented with photo ID, if photo not included.
Photo standards for submitted photo
You must also submit a photo that can be included on your SFU ID card and that meets the following standards:
- Be taken on a plain coloured, smooth background
- Be taken straight on, face square to the camera, with a clear view of the entire face and shoulders
- Contain no head coverings (e.g., hats, headphones or masks) unless worn for religious beliefs or medical reasons
- Show open and visible eyes
- Not be altered in any way
- Be in colour (no black-and-white)
- Reflect current appearance (no filters)
- Be saved as a .jpg/.jpeg