- Get help
- Announcements & alerts
- Service outages
- Security alerts
- Major initiatives
- SFU works toward keeping devices out of landfills
- A journey to improved WiFi
- Expanded gender identity options for students within goSFU
- Help us, help you, connect to better WiFi
- IT Services' new support system: ServiceHub
- Information Security Essential Courses
- IT Services leadership announcement
- University Wide Password Change Initiative
- April 2021 technical issue
- Telephone System Core Infrastructure Upgrade
- Decommissioning fraser.sfu.ca
- Information security
- Anti-Spam (CASL) Compliance
- Data security standard
- Desktop Security
- Identity Protection
- Phishing Scams
- How to stay safe online
- Security hygiene
- Tips for safe computing
- Travelling with technology
- Keeping Your Personal Information Safe During the Holidays
- Don't get caught by a phishing scam
Step 3. Upload your Vault files to new location
How to upload your Vault files to OneDrive via dekstop app
Step 1. Download and prepare your files for migration if you haven't already done so:
Note: For Mac users, we recommend searching and renaming any Vault files that contain any of these five special characters (?, *, <, >, |) to avoid upload errors with the OneDrive desktop app.
I am a Mac user, how do I search and rename Vault files that contain any of these five special characters?
For Mac users, we recommend searching and renaming any Vault files that contain any of these five special characters (?, *, <, >, |) to avoid upload errors with the OneDrive desktop app:
- Open the SFU Vault folder on your desktop.
- In the search bar, type in one of the special characters (e.g., “?”)
- In the drop-down menu of the search bar, select Name matches: ?.
- In the Search: field, select “download” (your folder name may be different).
- The filtered result will display all the files with names that include the special character. Rename your files to remove the special characters (e.g., you can use hyphens or underscores).
- Repeat steps 1) through 6) with the remaining special characters (*, <, >, |).
Step 2. Click on the OneDrive icon on your taskbar > select "Open folder".
Step 3. On your desktop, go to the folder with all your files from SFU Vault. Choose and select the items you wish to upload within the folders, then copy and paste those items onto the OneDrive folder.
Why can’t I drag and drop the files from the SFU Vault folder to the OneDrive folder?
The safest method is creating a copy of your files for the migration. Here are some reasons to consider:
- If you have SFU Vault Sync App installed, moving files out of the folder will signal a sync action, causing the app to delete all your files from your SFU Vault.
- If the file moving is interrupted or becomes unresponsive, your files could be split up. Copying files will prevent this issue.
Step 4. Check the status column of your files. Once the files have been uploaded successfully to your OneDrive, they will display green check marks.
Congratulations! You have finished migrating your files from SFU Vault to OneDrive.
If you need to re-establish file sharing permissions on OneDrive, see the Share a file or folder page for more information.