- Get help
- Announcements & alerts
- Service outages
- Security alerts
- Major initiatives
- Information security
Wireless connectivity (Wi-Fi)
The Wi-Fi service at SFU
Students, faculty and staff are recommened to use SFUNET-SECURE, the secure wireless network on campus. You also have access to wireless services at cooperating institutions in Canada, US, Asia and Europe using eduroam.
Connect to Wi-Fi
Can't connect to the SFU Wi-Fi? Try the following troubleshooting tips.
The majority of wireless incidents are resovled by (re)installing XpressConnect.
If you continue to experience frequent disconnects or slow wireless service, try the following suggestions to see if connectivity improves.
- Ensure you are using a valid SFU computing ID.
- Ensure all Operating System updates are installed.
- Ensure the latest wireless drivers are installed (MacOS includes drivers as part of the Operating System updates). Drivers make a significant difference to the performance of your wireless connection. Please find the newest available driver for your wireless device from the vendor's website.
- Use devices that support 802.11n on the 5ghz band. See http://www.wi-fi.org/certified-products-advanced-search to determine if a device supports 802.11n on the 5Ghz band.
- Disable any power saving features on the wireless card.
- Ensure you are connecting to the SFUNET-SECURE Network. Check out the setup instructions.
- If after following the above suggestions connectivity has not improved please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide:
- Your first and last name
- Your SFU computing ID
- Your wireless MAC address
- Your wireless IP address
- Your device type and Operating System version, for example iPhone running iOS 7.0.6, PC laptop running Window 7, etc
- Building and room number where you are experiencing the connectivity issue
- The date and time(s) you are experiencing the connectivity issue
- What is the nature of the connectivity issue
- Are you able to connect to wireless and browse www.sfu.ca
- Is the connection slow
- Does the wireless connection fail intermittently or totally
- Did you note others in the area experiencing the connectivity issue
The following references may be of use for both troubleshooting and general information.