- Get help
- Announcements & alerts
- Service outages
- Security alerts
- Major initiatives
- SFU works toward keeping devices out of landfills
- A journey to improved WiFi
- Expanded gender identity options for students within goSFU
- Help us, help you, connect to better WiFi
- IT Services' new support system: ServiceHub
- Information Security Essential Courses
- IT Services leadership announcement
- University Wide Password Change Initiative
- April 2021 technical issue
- Telephone System Core Infrastructure Upgrade
- Decommissioning fraser.sfu.ca
- Information security
- Anti-Spam (CASL) Compliance
- Data security standard
- Desktop Security
- Identity Protection
- Phishing Scams
- How to stay safe online
- Security hygiene
- Tips for safe computing
- Travelling with technology
- Keeping Your Personal Information Safe During the Holidays
- Don't get caught by a phishing scam
Update Zoom Desktop Client
Zoom has recently upgraded the security standards for all Zoom meetings going forward. If you are connecting to a Zoom meeting via the desktop client then you will need to upgrade to version 5.0 or higher.
For more information about the updated security standards implemented by Zoom see their Zoom 5.0 is here! announcement page.
How to check what version of Zoom I currently have?
To check which version you have installed open the Zoom desktop app and select your profile picture (top right corner of the app). Then navigate to Help > Check for updates. If the version is 5.0 or higher then no updates are required on your part. If the version is lower then see the additional help points below.
For more information about checking your version number please see the Viewing the Zoom version number help article.
How to update Zoom?
on a personal Windows or Mac device
If you are using a personal Windows or Mac device (i.e. a laptop or desktop machine that isn't managed by SFU) then you can download the most recent Zoom desktop client at https://zoom.us/download.
on a SFU Managed Windows or Mac device
If you are using a Windows device that is managed by the university then this update should already be installed. If it isn't then there are 3 options to force update your machine.
1. If you are on campus then run the SFU Maintenance Mode program. This will be located in the start menu of your device. This program will also run if you restart your device while connected to the campus wifi network.
2. If you are not on campus, but are an administrator for your device, you can manually update the Zoom app at https://zoom.us/download.
3. If you are not on campus, and not an administrator for your device, then please contact the IT Service Desk at 778.782.8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for remote assistance in performing the update.
Restart your device, and Zoom will automatically be updated in your Managed Mac.
Or open the SFU Managed Software Centre app installed on your device and select “Updates”. The most recent version of the Zoom client will install.