*AS OF JULY 2017, THIS PROGRAM IS ON HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*
Venture Co-Op offers the completion of an independent co-op working on a new venture concept or existing business.
This is a self-employment opportunity with no associated salary, open to SFU students in any faculty. An award is provided equal to the amount of the term’s co-op fee.
The student will be considered a full-time client of Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection's Incubator program for the duration of the work term, occupying an incubator office for a minimum of 30 hrs/week at the incubator's co-working space.
"Taking a self-run co-op position has turned out to be the best thing I’ve done in my time at SFU. I came into the semester with an idea what I wanted to do and a basic business plan, but not much idea of the real world requirements to do it.
The mentorship, support and networking from Venture Connection has built this up to a level where I am now comfortable pitching to investors and planning what needs to happen to make a successful venture. This is different then any other co-op; how far you go with it is entirely up to you, but no matter what you learn a huge amount along the way."
BBA Candidate Founder, Action Sport Concepts Venture
Connection Co-op Spring 2012
Read more in the SFU Beedie Blog post on Jesse.
What Venture Co-op can offer you
Once selected by us, you have access to:
- Office space provided by Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection at the incubator's co-working space.
- Regular meetings with an experienced mentor to discuss your business and explore ways to launch, grow, or refine your strategy.
- Access to networking events, volunteer business advisors and service providers
- When possible Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection can connect you with relevant contacts and industry experts.
- Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection covers the cost of your co-op practicum tuition while you complete Venture Co-op.
Students applying to Venture Co-Op must meet all of the following pre-requisites:
- Have a clear business idea.
- Have a services, product or licensing business model which plans to employ multiple people and where business growth is a major objective.
If at time of application the student has an existing business which will be a focus of the work term, this business must meet all of the following prerequisites:
- Have at least 50% of its management control held by SFU students
- Have a clear business concept and presentation.
- Have defined management roles and five or fewer members on its management team.
If you are ready to take the next step for your business idea or existing business, check the job posting on Symplicity as soon as possible!
- Co-op students must first apply to Venture Co-op through Symplicity using a short application form indicating basic information about the business or concept.
- If selected for further consideration, the applicant will submit a short slide presentation outlining the business concept and a selection panel with business experts will be held to review it.
How to Apply
- Go to Symplicity and search for the Venture Co-op (co-op position) with SFU Venture Connection * note - this position is open to students in ANY faculty
- Review the job description very carefully as you must submit additional documents
- Submit the following required documents using Symplicity (details in the job posting)
- Venture Co-op application forms (available for download from the Symplicity Document Library)