Composing Email Messages
A blank compose page will open. The toolbar with basic options (Send, Cancel, Save Draft etc) appears near the top of the page, as indicated in the image below:
In the To: box, you can start typing an email address or a name from your contacts. Click Enter when done. The email address will turn into an address bubble. Address bubbles can be copied by right-clicking them and pressing Copy.
- You can also click the To: box and get a list of your contacts and search for people in the SFU Global Address List.
- To: Use for all primary recipients. All primary recipients see the entire list of addressees when they read the message.
- Cc: Carbon copy - Lets you send a copy of a message to someone who's interested but is not the primary recipient. All Cc'ed recipients see the entire list of addressees when they read the message.
- Bcc: Blind carbon copy - Lets you send a copy of an email message to someone without his or her address appearing in the copies of the message sent to other recipients.
You can send a message without any addresses in the To field, as long as there is at least one address in either the Cc or Bcc fields.
To add a Bcc field for Bcc addresses, click the Show BCC toggle, as shown below. The Bcc field will appear in the Compose window.
If you are uncertain about your recipients email address, go to the Search Bar at the top of the screen and select Global Address List to search for emails.
2. Any misspelled words will be highlighted in red. Click to see suggestions or other options.
3. Click 'Resume Editing' at the top of the message body to accept your changes and close the Spell Checker.
You can include file attachments in emails. Attachments can include images, PDFs, Word documents etc. Please note, the maximum attachment size is 25 MB. There are a couple of ways to add an attachment:
Option 1 - Drag & Drop
1. Click on a file on your computer desktop and drag it into the email window. The file should automatically upload into your message and appear inline.
Option 2 - Browse from My Computer
1. Click the Attach button and select My Computer. Note you can also attach files from the SFU Connect Briefcase, Contacts or Mail.
2. Select a file from your computer and click Open. The file should upload and be attached to your message.
3. If you selected Briefcase, select a file and click Attach. Note that when attatching files, make sure the person receiving the message has the necessary software to open it.
If you sent a message and immediately thought that the message should not have been sent or there was a mistake in it, you can use the Undo Send function.
Undo Send is a countdown that pops-up when the user presses the Send button when composing a new message. You can click Undo to stop the message from being sent or click Send Now to send the message immediately. When the timer runs out, the message will send. Undo Send is set to off by default.
To Turn on Undo Send
1. Click the Preferences option
2. On the left panel, click on Zimlets
3. On the right panel, find the Undo Send function. Check the box to turn on the function.
4. Click Save to save the changes that you just made.
5. When prompted to reload the applicationt to apply the Zimlet changes, click Yes