The content on this website is no longer being updated.
As of August 2018, SFU Connect was replaced by SFU Mail as the University's email and calendar system. All pages on this website (www.sfu.ca/sfuconnect) will redirect to the SFU Mail website on March 1, 2019. For information about SFU Mail, visit www.sfu.ca/sfumail.
Set Up Email Templates
Email templates lets you save and send pre-formatted email messages (a.k.a. canned messages) with the option of adding in fields to fill out for each message (e.g. first name, last name). It allows the use of the HTML editor and attachments (documents, images, etc) for your templates.
Setting up an email template
1. Create a new folder for your templates. Give it a unique name or colour that designates it as a template folder.
2. Go to the Mail tab, click New Message, then click Templates and select Preferences.
3. Click Set Templates Folder.
4. Select your templates folder.
5. Create a new email message. Variables written in the following format:
A variable is basically a placeholder in which you fill in later. This is what makes your message customizable, you can change the variable for every email.
6. Once you've finished your message, go to the Templates menu and select Save.
Using an email template
1. Your template has now been created and is ready to use. Create a new message, go to the Templates menu and select an Insert option.
2. Fill in a value for your variables, then click OK to finish.
3. Your variables should be replaced with the values you have just put in.
Other uses (HTML & Attachments)
You can also customize your Email Template with the HTML editor and attachments. To format the template in HTML, go to the Options menu and select Format as HTML.
To add attachments, you could use the Drag and Drop method or use the Attach menu and choose to attach from My Computer, Attach Inline, Briefcase, Contacts, and Mail.