The content on this website is no longer being updated.
As of August 2018, SFU Connect was replaced by SFU Mail as the University's email and calendar system. All pages on this website (www.sfu.ca/sfuconnect) will redirect to the SFU Mail website on March 1, 2019. For information about SFU Mail, visit www.sfu.ca/sfumail.
Creating a Share
1. To create a share, right click on the folder and choose 'Share folder' (or 'Share Calendar', etc.).
2. In the Share Properties menu, type in the SFU email address of the person you wish to share the folder. You may enter more than one SFU email address in this field.
SFU maillists can also be entered, but if you do not have sending rights to the maillist, the members will not receive a notice of the share. However, members should still be able to manually mount a shared calendar. See finding shares from others for more information.
Note regarding external and public shares: External shares to non-SFU email addresses and public shares are view only. If a calendar that is shared publicly is embedded on a website, its entries will likely be searchable.
3. Next, choose the role (i.e., permission level) you wish to assign to the person:
- Viewer allows the share recipient to view the contents of the folder you are sharing with them.
- Manager allows the share recipient to add, edit and delete items in addition to viewing them.
- Admin enables the share recipient to perform the same actions as Manager, plus the ability to manage shares (create, edit, revoke shares). For this reason, we strongly recommend against giving anyone Admin access to folders in your personal account.
- None is a setting for temporarily removing access.
Permission levels can be edited at any time. See modifying and revoking a share.
4. You may choose to send a standard message to notify the user of the new share (this is the default setting), or you can choose the other options to customize your message. There is also an option to not send an email notification.
5. Click OK once you have finished to create the share. If you have entered more than one SFU email address, each address will receive a separate share notification message.
- If an invitee forwards the invite to another user, the organizer will be notified.
- If a user deletes a shared folder, the deleted folder will show up in the trash of all users who have been shared the folder.