Update: February 14, 2019
This document is intended for LAN Administrators and other university technical support staff.
Trend Micro OfficeScan is an "enterprise" class software and clients deployed on individual desktops are designed to be managed cnetrally through a web console. Access to the console is reserved for LAN Administrators only. All settings are changed/set from the console.
In the past, accessing the console requires Internet Explorer (IE). This is no longer the case starting with Trend Micro OfficeScan 11. You can use any of the major browsers (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari) for this task.
To access the console (on campus only), login to https://trend8.its.sfu.ca:4343/officescan
In the email, please supply (if appropriate) the name of a maillist to be used for notifications of anti-virus events (infections, cleanings, etc.), or a list of users to receive such notices. Please also include the IDs of people who will be administering the console.
Upon receiving the request, IT Services will create a "container" in the Trend console, using the same naming convention as the Campus Active Directory (BUS, FIN, etc.)
Note: The use of Trend AV is in no way tied to Campus Active Directory; Trend can be deployed to machines connected to a different domain or not connected to a domain at all. It simply makes sense to employ a common naming convention.
Trend documentation refers to these containers as "domains" but all SFU documentation will refer to them as "containers".
IT Services will then create user accounts allowed access to the console, based upon the list of IDs specified above. These users will access the console with Campus Active Directory credentials.
Next, a new "role" will be created, that of "container admin", as in FIN Admin or BUS Admin. The role will be given full access to the container and will be allowed to configure just about every single setting or permission possible.
The new users will then be added to the new role and console configuration is now complete.
Finally, the user(s) will be added to the trend-admins maillist. This list is used to restrict downloads and may also be used to deliver important information about Trend Micro OfficeScan from IT Services.
For the most part, these instructions are applicable for both individual installs or large scale deployments. However, for large scale deployments, you may need to adept the instructions to suite your centralized deployment systems.
If you have users who do not wish Trend Micro OfficeScan to be managed whatsoever, please take a look at the Unmanaged Machines section.
Managed or Semi-Managed Machines
We recommend that you remove all existing anti-virus software from your computer(s) first before continuing with this Trend Micro OfficeScan installation.
To install Trend Micro OfficeScan client, double-click the MIS installer (downloadable below) and follow the on-screen instructions. By the end of the installation, you will likely have to restart your computer.
You can find the computer object in a container on the Trend Micro OfficeScan server based on the MSI you have downloaded.
We all have some unmanageable users who will insist upon doing things themselves, and this is possible with Trend. When downloading the installer below, look for the Unmanaged MSI.
This has been configured with settings that allow a user to control all aspects of the anti-virus client. No central notifications will be sent, nothing. This is truly a "leave me alone" container. The password to unload or uninstall trend in this container is "abcdef" (no quotes).
It is recommended that you remove all existing anti-virus software first before installing Trend Micro Security for Mac.
To install Trend Micro Security for Mac, download the Mac installer first. Once you have downloaded and uncompressed the file, double-click the PKG installer. You can then follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
macOS 10.13 (aka High Sierra) requires a reboot after the installation has been completed.
Given Trend Micro Security for Mac has been designed differently from its Windows counterpart, Unmanaged container is not possible.
A container will have been created for you and machines will appear in that container because you followed the instructions above.
Submit a request to email@example.com for additional containers if different OfficeScan settings are needed for a group of machines (e.g. Server or Research). We'll attempt to get them created quickly.
One thing to note here; the nature of the email notifier is such that all containers must begin with the same prefix. So for Finance, the first container would be named
while the rest of the containers would have names like
and so on. Machines can of course be moved around using the GUI as well after the fact.
There is a default group of settings bundled into the installer and those settings are, by and large, perfectly reasonable meaning that Trend may well be set and forget. But there could also be unusual pieces of software, specific to an area, that Trend sees as "suspicious". These will need to be added to the "OK" list for the container.
Mac computers appear in a single container and sadly, there is currently no way to federate administration. The Mac support staff in IT Services will look after configuration centrally.
There are two ways to migrate an existing endpoint to a new Trend Micro OfficeScan server. They will be discussed below.
- Login to Trend Micro OfficeScan server console where the endpoint currently resides.
- Under Agents - Agent Management (or Networked Computers - Client Management), find the endpoint object
- Click on the object to highlight it
- Under Manage Agent Client Tree (or Manage Client Tree) - Move Agent (or Move Client)
- Select "Move selected agent(s) to another OfficeScan server" (or "Move selected client(s) to another OfficeScan server")
- Type in the new server name in "OfficeScan Server name or IP Address" (or "OfficeScan server"). For example, trend8.its.sfu.ca
- Type in 8080 for "Port" (or "HTTP port number")
Alternatively, you can do everything describe above via a command line using the IPXfer tool. This allows you to script the command to handle batch migration. The tool can be downloaded below. For more information on how to use the command, please refer to Trend Micro's support document here.
Standard Microsoft Windows program install and uninstall
- Uninstall the old Trend Micro OfficeScan from an endpoint
- You will be prompted for the uninsntall password. (note: we have set a default password but you may have changed it for your container. In such case, your password needs to be used)
- Restart may be required
- Install the new Trend Micro OfficeScan that you have downloaded from below
Download access to Trend Micro OfficeScan is restricted based on the information provided in the initial setup section. If you have not done so already and require access, please send your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your department.
IpXfer Utility (Update: August 26, 2019)
- Command line utility to migrate an anti-virus agent from one server console to another
- SHA256 checksum: 98408C0F2FC3DAD83796F98C4FEE29C3FD7F2744F2CBEB7674D4890C5F77361F
OS / System Requirements
- OS X 10.8.3 or higher
1. NOT compatiable with macOS Catalina (10.15)
2. For OS X 10.8+: Change the security settings in [System Preferences - Security & Privacy - General - "Allow applications downloaded from:" to Anywhere] before proceeding with the installation.
3. For macOS 10.13: If you see a "System Extension Blocked" message, please follow the on-screen instruction to "Allow" the System Extension for Trend Micro
Mac Installer (Update: November 8, 2018, macOS Mojave - 10.14 compatible)
Mac Uninstaller (Update: November 8, 2018)
SHA256 checksum: 908d219813e54d836f4124c79329edbbc53ddb87d14641d23f3cf572eac33e8d
Many Trend Micro OfficeScan documentation can be found on the vendor's support page.
Q: What is the default password set on the console to uninstall/unload the Trend Micro OfficeScan client?
A: Please email email@example.com for this information.
Q: I am unable to uninstall Trend Micro OfficeScan even after I have entered the password. What do I do now?
A: There are a few things you can try:
- Push the password out again via the OfficeScan management console. This should re-establish the endpoint uninstall/unload password.
- Uninstall OfficeScan manually using Trend Micro OfficeScan knowledge base article: