Practice Quantitative Placement Test
The questions that follow are designed to make prospective students aware of the mathematics background required for those intending to take courses that are designated as Quantitative/Analytical (Q courses). The actual test will cover the same concepts as this practice test does, but the questions will be different. For more information about the expectations, read Q Assessment Topics.
If you do not achieve a passing score on the actual test, you will be required to enroll in and pass the course FAN X99: Foundations of Analytical and Quantitative Reasoning prior to taking any Q courses at SFU.
You should be aware of the following conditions when you attempt this practice test:
- The passing score on the Q Placement Test is 20 correct answers out of the 30 questions. The practice test does not keep track of your success rate - you will have to keep track of it yourself.
- You may take as much time as you like to complete the practice test. However, the actual test will be timed: you will have 1.5 hour for completion of the test.
- On the practice test, you will be allowed multiple attempts at each question. On the actual test, you will be allowed to attempt each question only once.
- You may take the practice test as many times as you wish. However, you will be allowed to take the actual test only once.
- You will have to write the actual test in person at the SFU Burnaby campus, and you will have to book a specific time to take it. You will not be permitted to bring any electronic devices to the test, but the software you will be using will allow you to use a basic four-function calculator if you wish to do so.