Frequently Asked Questions

Please note that all inquiries related to MACM 101 must be directed to the School of Computing Science.

What are the requirements for internal transfer into the Department of Mathematics? 

You must complete the lower division requirements with the following GPAs:

  • CGPA, UDGPA, subject GPA and subject UDGPA must be greater than or equal to 2.0 to declare a major, 3.0 to declare a honours, 2.0 to declare the minor.
  • We sometimes approve students who have completed as few as 2 to 4 required courses, if their grades are very good (B to A range).

To discuss admission to a mathematics program, please meet with the mathematics advisor. To view lower division course requirements, see here.

What are the admission deadlines for internal transfer students?

There are no admission deadlines for internal transfer applicants. However, applications submitted during busy times (enrolment, beginning of semester, etc.) take longer to process.

The Department of Mathematics offers several majors and honours and a minor. Can I declare more than one of these programs?

Of the different majors/honours/minor programs offered by the Department of Mathematics, students may only declare or complete one.

What if I don’t have the prerequisites for the course I want to take?

Generally speaking, you should simply take the pre-requisite course first. There is a pre-requisite waiver application you can submit, but these are not commonly approved. 

What is the difference between Math 150, 151, 154, and 157?

These are all different versions of calculus I.

  • Math 150 and 151 are for sciences and applied sciences. Math 150 has a review component, Math 151 does not
  • Math 154 is for life sciences (BISC, etc.)
  • Math 157 is for social sciences (ECON, BUS)

These courses have different prerequisite grade requirements in Math 12 or Math 100.

Be sure that you check with your program advisor before making your course selection.

What is FAN and how do I satisfy it?

If you don’t know what FAN is or what your options are for satisfying it, speak with an advisor in Student Services. Book an appointment here, or visit during their drop-in hours.

If you need help enrolling in FAN X99, contact the mathematics advisor. Please make sure to indicate the error message the enrolment system is giving you when you contact the advisor. 

If you want to register for the Q Placement Test, visit the test website here.

What do I do if I have FAN on my transcript but I can’t enrol in Math 100 or 190?

There’s a distinction between FAN from a transfer course and the actual SFU FAN X99 course. Your issue with enrolment may be because you have FAN derived from a transfer course, but not the actual SFU FAN X99 course. You can contact the mathematics advisor or Student Services Academic Advising for clarification. 

How do I enrol in Math 190 after taking calculus?

If you have completed, or have in progress, all other academic requirements for the PDP admission application, please contact the mathematics advisor during drop-in hours or send an email to to seek permission to enrol in MATH 190.

Intended PDP students are the only students we allow to enrol in MATH 190 after having done calculus.

What if I’ve taken a course elsewhere that I think should qualify as a prerequisite?

Submit your transcript/s to SFU Admissions and see what credit (if any) they assign for your courses. 

What do I do if I want to enrol in a course but I have a time conflict?

Students must submit a Course/Exam Conflict Application if they want to enrol in a MATH course (100 - 400 level) or MACM course (200 - 400 level) that has a schedule conflict with a course in which they’re already enrolled. Conflicts are typically caused by time or location of lectures, tutorials, or exams.

How do I check my graduation progress?

The mathematics advisor is available to review degree progress with you. Please call 778-782-4980 or email to make an appointment. If possible, book your appointment for the second month of the term to avoid longer wait times.

It is also important for you to continually check your own degree progress using the planning tools available online. The advisor can help you learn how to do this.  

How can I have a 6th or subsequent repeat approved?

Requests for sixth or subsequent duplicates are reviewed by the faculty where the student’s program is administered (eg. Computing Science majors must apply to the Faculty of Applied Science.) Contact your department or faculty to start the process.

If you are not a student in the Department of Mathematics, and if the MATH/MACM course in question has previously been taken a single time only (including any equivalent courses), then you do not need permission from the Mathematics Department.

How can I enrol in a MATH course (100 - 400 level) or MACM course (200 - 400 level) for the 3rd time?

You must submit and have approved a Third Time Permission Application.

What should I do if I already have a degree and want to enrol in a course on the basis of courses from my previous degree?

If you have been admitted to the university as a second degree student, you will not receive a transfer credit report showing the courses you completed in your original degree. If your first degree was unrelated to your second degree, this may not be an issue for you. However, if your first degree contains courses you want to use as pre-requisites for courses in your second degree, then you need to have course waivers assigned. Course waivers are notes on your transcript showing that you have previously completed particular courses.

The department responsible for evaluating your transcript for waivers is the department that matches the subject of the courses being evaluated. If you want a waiver showing you have previously completed a computing science course, you would contact the Computing Science Department. If you want a waiver showing you have previously completed a STAT course, you would contact the Statistics Department. If you want a waiver showing you have previously completed a MATH course or MACM course (200 – 400 level), you must email your transcript and course outline (in English) to  Clearly state your name and student number.

Note that the evaluation of this documentation can take a significant amount of time. You will be notified of the evaluation results via your SFU email account.