- Algebraic and Arithmetic Geometry
- Applied Combinatorics
- Applied Mathematics
- Computer Algebra
- Discrete Mathematics
- History of Mathematics
- Industrial Mathematics
- Mathematics, Genomics & Prediction in Infection & Evolution - MAGPIE
- Mathematics and Data
- Mathematics of Communications
- Number Theory
- Operations Research
- Centre for Operations Research and Decision Sciences
- News & Events
The questions that follow are designed to make prospective students aware of the mathematics background required for those intending to take courses that are designated as Quantitative/Analytical (Q courses). The actual test will cover the same concepts as this practice test does, but the questions will be different. For more information about the expectations, read Q Assessment Topics.
If you do not achieve a passing score on the actual test, you will be required to enroll in and pass the course FAN X99: Foundations of Analytical and Quantitative Reasoning prior to taking any Q courses at SFU.
You should be aware of the following conditions when you attempt this practice test:
- The passing score on the Q Placement Test is 20 correct answers out of the 30 questions. The practice test does not keep track of your success rate - you will have to keep track of it yourself.
- You may take as much time as you like to complete the practice test. However, the actual test will be timed: you will have 1.5 hour for completion of the test.
- On the practice test, you will be allowed multiple attempts at each question. On the actual test, you will be allowed to attempt each question only once.
- You may take the practice test as many times as you wish. However, you will be allowed to take the actual test only once.
- You will have to write the actual test in person at the SFU Burnaby campus, and you will have to book a specific time to take it. You will not be permitted to bring any electronic devices to the test, but the software you will be using will allow you to use a basic four-function calculator if you wish to do so.