- B.Sc., Physiology and Biophysics, Fudan University, Shanghai
- Ph.D., Neurophysiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao
My laboratory is interested in developing bioinformatics programs and genomics (and molecular) tools for understanding genome architecture and expression. In particular, we are interested in characterizing gene structures, transcription factors and regulatory elements, sequence and structural variations, and, more importantly, regulatory mechanisms. Ultimately, we are interested in understanding how genome sequences and their organization (including various modifications) direct development and biological functions. Currently, we primarily use the nematodeCaenorhabditis elegans as a model system. Bioinformatics programs and genomics tools, however, are generally readily applicable in all organisms, ranging from bacteria to humans. Current research projects fall into two major categories: (1) Identification and characterization of novel genes, synteny blocks, functional elements, genome variations and genome rearrangements; (2) Transcriptional regulation of genes and gene batteries.
My research group provides an ideal environment for students who have interest in the emerging field of genomics and bioinformatics, an exciting field which is developing essentially everyday. Within this group, students have the opportunity to learn and apply computational skills, as well as advanced genomics and molecular techniques. Check current projects in my laboratory. If you find any one interesting to you, send me a message.
- Gong G, Dan C, Xiao S, Guo W, Huang P, Xiong Y, Wu J, He Y, Zhang J, Li X, Chen N, Gui JF, Mei J. Chromosomal-level assembly of yellow catfish genome using third-generation DNA sequencing and Hi-C analysis. Gigascience. 2018 Nov 1;7(11). doi: 10.1093/gigascience/giy120.
- Xu S, Xiao S, Zhu S, Zeng X, Luo J, Liu J, Gao T, Chen N. A. draft genome assembly of the Chinese sillago (Sillago sinica), the first reference genome for Sillaginidae fishes. Gigascience. 2018 Sep 1;7(9). doi: 10.1093/gigascience/giy108.
- Qin Z, Johnsen R, Yu S, Chu JS, Baillie DL, Chen N. Genomic Identification and Functional Characterization of Essential Genes in Caenorhabditis elegans. G3 (Bethesda). 2018 Mar 2;8(3):981-997. doi: 10.1534/g3.117.300338.