- B.Sc., Biophysics, Simon Fraser University
- Ph.D., Chemistry, Simon Fraser University
We are interested in studying nature's own border patrol - the cell membrane. We study the physical behavior of lipid molecules in model membranes using deuterium nuclear magnetic resonance (2H NMR) spectroscopy. We want to understand the nano-scale molecular interactions that lipids have with each other and their environment.
For more details, visit our research lab website.
- Keyvanloo A, Shaghaghi M, Zuckermann MJ, and Thewalt JL. The Phase Behavior and Organization of Sphingomyelin/Cholesterol Membranes: A Deuterium NMR Study. Biophys J. 2018 May 27. 114(6): 1344-1356.
- Thewalt JL. Essential Insights into Lipid Membrane Organization from Essential Fatty Acids. Biophys J. 2018 Jan 23. 114(2): 254-255.
- Leung SSW and Thewalt JL. Link between Fluorescent Probe Partitioning and Molecular Order of Liquid Ordered-Liquid Disordered Membranes. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 2017 Feb 16. 121(6): 1176-1185.
Future courses may be subject to change.