Microbe-loving bioinformatics and genomics research lab, aiming to better control infectious diseases and associated immune disorders in a sustainable way.
Infectious disease control needs to be made more “sustainable”. We need to reduce selective pressure on pathogens to evolve antibiotic resistance. We need to control infectious disease outbreaks and associated immune disorders with a better understanding of the genetic, environmental and social factors that impact disease spread and severity.
The Brinkman laboratory is developing bioinformatics methods, and capitalizing on combined bioinformatics and wet-lab approaches, investigating microbes and their host/environmental interactions, to better understand key themes in infectious disease etiology, microbiome conservation, and associated immune disorders. The overall goal is to develop more sustainable, integrated approaches for disease control.
For more details, visit our research lab website.
- Bertelli C, Tilley KE and Brinkman FS (2018). Microbial genomic island discovery, visualization and analysis. Briefings in Bioinformatics. doi: 10.1093/bib/bby042. Pubmed PMID: 29868902
- Bertelli C, Laird MR, Williams KP; Simon Fraser University Research Computing Group, Lau BY, Hoad G, Winsor GL and Brinkman FS (2017). IslandViewer 4: expanded prediction of genomic islands for larger-scale datasets. Nucleic Acids Research, 45(W1), pp.W30-W35. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkx343. Pubmed PMID: 28472413
- Jia B, Raphenya AR, Alcock B, Waglechner N, Guo P, Tsang KK, Lago BA, Dave BM, Pereira S, Sharma AN, Doshi S, Courtot M, Lo R, Williams LE, Frye JG, Elsayegh T, Sardar D, Westman EL, Pawlowski AC, Johnson TA, Brinkman FS and Wright GD, McArthur AG. (2016). CARD 2017: expansion and model-centric curation of the comprehensive antibiotic resistance database. Nucleic Acids Research, 45(D1), pp.D566-D573. doi:10.1093/nar/gkw1004. Pubmed PMID : 27789705
- Van Rossum T, Peabody MA, Uyaguari-Diaz MI, Cronin KI, Chan M, Slobodan JR, Nesbitt MJ, Suttle CA, Hsiao WW, Tang PK, Prystajecky NA, Brinkman FS. Year-Long Metagenomic Study of River Microbiomes Across Land Use and Water Quality. Front. Microbiol. 2015 Dec 16;6:1405. PubMed PMID: 26733955.
- O’Doherty KC, Neufeld JD, Brinkman FS, Gardner H, Guttman DS, Beiko RG (2014). Conservation and stewardship of the human microbiome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Oct 7;111(40):14312-3. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1413200111. PubMed PMID: 25294925
- Achtman AH, Pilat S, Law CW, Lynn DJ, Janot L, Mayer ML, Ma S, Kindrachuk J, Finlay BB, Brinkman FS, Smyth GK, Hancock RE, Schofield L. Effective adjunctive therapy by an innate defense regulatory peptide in a preclinical model of severe malaria. Sci Transl Med. 2012 May 23;4(135):135ra64. PMID: 22623740.