Frequently Asked Questions

Eligibility & Application

For More Information

The best resource of information on our graduate program is online here. However, if you cannot find the answer to your question, or need specific material and are not able to find it online, please do not hesitate to contact us:

My undergraduate degree isn't in Engineering. Can I still apply?

No, in order to apply for the MASc or MEng, you must have a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Engineering Science or a related area.

In order to apply for the Ph.D., you must have a Master's degree (or nearing completion) in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, computer science or a related field.

Can my employer write a reference?

Yes. The main thing is that your references are good and are coming from a credible source. Although we would prefer at least one academic reference, references from well known companies or any source that shed light on your personality are encouraged.

Do you require GRE, TOEFL, and/or IELTS?

The GRE is not required to be considered for admission.

Applicants with a degree from an accredited university in the US or Canada do not have to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. However we highly recommend it to strengthen your application.

Applicants from outside these 2 countries are required to submit recent IELTS or TOEFL scores.  If you previous degree has been conducted (all communication and instruction) entirely in English, you may submit an official confirmation letter from your previous school in place of the IELTS or TOEFL.

For more information please see:

What are the minimum TOEFL and IELTS scores?

The minimum TOEFL requirement is: paper based 570 (essay score of 5), computer based 250 (essay score of 5), and internet based 93 (minimum of 20 in each category).

The minimum IELTS requirement is: an overall score of 7.

The most update-to-date requirements can be found at:

What if I have a low TOEFL, and/or IELTS score?

It is highly recommended that you achieve the minimum score BEFORE applying as you cannot complete your online application without the minimum score.

When should I apply and how long does it take to get an answer?

There are three application cycles every year:

Starting Semester
Application period open / Deadline
School Decision Deadline

Spring (January)
May 1 - June 14
Sept 1

Summer (May)
August 1 - September 15
Jan 1

Fall (September)
October 15 - January 15
May 1

However, all supporting documentation needs to arrive by the listed Deadline in order for your application to be considered complete, and adjudicated for suitability of admission. 

It is advisable to apply much earlier than the deadlines, as our adjudication of applicants begins as soon as your application is considered complete.

If my application is unsuccessful, can it be reconsidered at a later date?

Applications are only considered for the semester to which they apply, and will not be carried over.  If your application is unsuccessful and you wish to reapply, you will have to commence a new application and repay the application fee.

Can I pay the application fee after I am admitted or after my arrival at SFU?


I have not taken the TOEFL/IELTS yet. How should I fill out the appropriate fields in the application form?

Please note that in order for your application to be complete, you must have your (unofficial) score available for upload into the application system.  Examination scores received after the end of the application deadline will not be accepted

Do you have a part-time program?

Yes, our MEng program is part-time.

It is designed for part-time study by practicing engineers and is based on a set of courses, normally offered in the evenings, plus a project performed in industry.  

The MASc, on the other hand, is a full-time program in which primary emphasis is on the thesis, rather than course work. It is more exploratory than the MEng, and hence the areas of study cover a greater range.


How long does it usually take to get a MASc and/or PhD?

The expected time to finish the MASc program is 2-3 years of full-time enrollment.  The maximum amount of time to finish is 6 calendar years from the date of first enrollment in the program.

The expected time to finish the PhD program is 3-5 years of full-time enrollment.  The maximum amount of time to finish is 8 calendar years from the date of first enrollment in the program.

How many courses does a MASc and/or Ph.D. degree require?

M.A.Sc. students complete at least 30 units consisting of a minimum of 12 units of courses (typically 4 courses), and a thesis equal to 18 units (can be enrolled up to 6 semesters). *Subject to change.

Ph.D. students complete at least 18 units beyond the M.A.Sc. degree, a Qualifying Exam and Thesis. *Subject to change.

Specific (up-to-date) details can be found in the SFU Calendar:

What are the areas of specialty in the School?

The strength of our research programs lie mainly in these areas:

  1. Bio/micro-Mechatronics
  2. Intelligent Systems and Control
  3. Energy Systems
  4. Products and Systems Design

Please have a look at our Research page for our programs of research.

Look here for a summary of faculty and their research interests.

How much is tuition?

Specific (up-to-date) tuition charges can be found at:


What is the typical cost of being a graduate student at SFU?

The typical costs of being a graduate student at SFU can comprise many things (from tuition, rent, books, etc.).  A detailed breakdown of estimated costs is available here:

However, the Dean of Graduate Studies suggests that you budget approximately $25,000 per year in costs in order to be a graduate student at SFU.

Are there Scholarships?

Applicants should review our Dean of Graduate Studies website for more information about Entrance Scholarships.  Some are by nomination only and others can be applied for by current students or applicants, but the majority are competition-based and the School can only nominate 1-2 students.  It is highly encouraged to Applicants that THEY NOT budget for the successful receipt of these scholarships.

For Canadian Students an important one to apply is the NSERC scholarship. Information about the NSERC scholarship with program details and deadlines can be found at:

International Students who are not Canadian citizens and who require financial assistance to attend SFU must seek such assistance in their country of origin before arrival in Canada.

Many of the outside awards offered to students at SFU (for instance, NSERC) are restricted to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

How does the School provide support to students?

If you are offered admission by a faculty member who will be acting as your senior supervisor, financial support in the form of a research assistantship (RA) may or may not be offered.  This is a discussion you should engage in with a potential senior supervisor before commencing your application so you have a realistic idea of your potential support and costs.

What campus will the MPR Program held at?

The MPR Program is being held at the Surrey campus.

Who is the target audience for this "professional" Program?

By "professional" we are referring to Program graduates who will be looking for jobs in industry once they complete their degree.  This is not a research oriented M.Sc. program.  Our recruitment efforts are being focused on practicing engineers and Internationally Trained Engineers (ITEs), or engineers between jobs.  

Do I need a GRE or GMAT Score to apply?

We do not require a GRE or GMAT score for admission to the MPR Program.

When should I arrange to send an official university transcript for the   MPR Program?  Where should it be sent?

As part of your admissions package you are required to provide us with an official transcript from the degree-granting institution(s) that you have attended.  This may take time so please act immediately.  These transcript(s) can be sent directly to:  MPR Admissions Committee, School of Mechatronic Systems Engineering, Simon Fraser University, 250-13450 102 Ave., Surrey, BC, Canada V3T 0A3

Who makes decisions regarding admission to the MPR Program?

Admission decisions are made by the MPR Program Director in consultation with the School's Graduate Program Admissions Committee.  Except in unusual circumstances, applications are reviewed by a minimum of two Faculty members before final decisions are made.

I am currently enrolled in a M.Sc. or PhD Graduate Program in the School of MSE, can I transfer to the MPR Program?

Given the difference in training objectives, in many cases, it may not make sense to transfer into this program.  However, if you still wish to consider transferring, the following rules will apply:       

The candidate should ONLY apply for an internal transfer, you DO NOT need to reapply to SFU and pay the application fee using the online graduate application system ( again.  In order to apply you must complete a program transfer form.

If your transfer is approved, you will be responsible for the PER TERM (not per credit) semester fee of the MPR program for the program duration of four semesters.  No tuition refunds will be considered for courses completed prior to your admission to the program.

If your transfer is approved and you have already completed some of the required courses, you can apply for a waiver of up to two SFU graduate courses and this will be approved by the Program Director. 

I have applied to another Graduate Program in the School of MSE and now want to switch to the MPR Program - can I do this?

YES you can switch programs.  You can do this by editing the "Possible Alternate Program" field in our online application system @

Is there a minimum English language requirement (TOEFL/IELTS) for admission to the MPR Program?

The TOEFL/IELTS minimum scores are explained in this section on English Language Competence by the SFU Dean of Graduate Studies.

Is there a minimum GPA requirement for admission to the MPR Program?

We follow the SFU Graduate Regulation 1.3.3 which requires a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0/4.33 (B), or a grade point average of at least 3.33/4.33 (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses. All graduate work is also considered. In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant professional experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.  The School's MPR Admission Committee in consultation with the School's Graduate Program Admissions Committee may offer conditional admissions to exceptional students who do not meet the above requirement.  Minimally we require demonstrated competence in the third year level equivalent to MSE 312-3 (Mechatronic Design II), and MSE 381-3 (Feedback Control Systems).  Students who do not have the proper background may take MSE 381-3 and MSE 312-3 in the summer semester before the fall cohort begins and then join the M.Eng. program in Mechatronic Product Realization.

What is the official name of the MPR Program?  What is the name of the degree granted at completion?

The official name of the Program is "Professional Masters in Mechatronic Product Realization".  The name of the degree granted is "M.Eng.".

I do not think I require a TOEFL or IELTS score, who do I contact about having this admission requirement waived?

If you have a degree from an institution in North America you do not need a TOEFL or IELTS score.  If your degree is issued by an institution outside of North America you need to apply for a waiver through the Dean of Graduate Studies.

If my application status is incomplete, will I still be considered for admission to the MPR Program? 

We review all applications thoroughly and if our system incorrectly identifies your application as incomplete, we will still consider your application.  If you are missing any of the required documents for admission to the program then your application cannot be considered for admission.  Please contact our Graduate Program Assistants for questions regarding the completion of your application at

Do I need a research supervisor once I have been accepted into the MPR Program?

No. This is not a research based degree and thus you do not need to approach any professor in the department for possible research projects or research assistantship.   Academic advisors, however, will be announced during the beginning of your first semester.

The MPR program structure requires that all students participate in a Coop semester, what if I have already extensive Canadian engineering work experience?

Upon the approval of the MPR program director, you can substitute the co-op term with an elective graduate course offered by the School of MSE.

What is the tuition fee structure for the MPR Program?

The tuition fee structure is based on a PER TERM (not per credit) fee of $6630* per semester for domestic students and $ 7976.40* for international students. 

Domestic students program cost:  $26,520*

International students program cost:  $31,906*

*Subject to changes.

Do students in the MPR program qualify for research funding opportunities?

The program does not have a significant research component and no thesis work with research faculty. There are no research scholarships available for MPR students.