The following information will be useful to you in ensuring that staff get the keys and/or card that they require as quickly as possible.
- As far in advance as possible please advise Operations of the following in writing or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. It can take a week or longer after receiving the order.
- Employee's name.
- Rooms/doors for which keys will be required.
- The account number to which the non-refundable administrative fee is to be charged.
- Will the individual or the department pay the refundable deposit? If the department is paying, please supply the account number to which the deposit can be charged. If you decide that the individual is paying, please advise them that the applicable form can be picked up in Operations (Suite 500) and then payment can be made at Information/Registration. Cash only please, no credit or debit cards accepted. Information/Registration will give them a receipt which they will present to Operations in order to sign out their keys.
Operations strongly recommends that the individual be required to pay the refundable deposit in order to encourage prompt return of keys when the individual leaves the University.
When the keys are ready, we will call or email. The employee should call 27891 before coming to Operations, just to be sure that Chris Rohwedder is at her desk.
Keys will be held ready for pick-up for a maximum of three months. Beyond this keys will be returned to inventory and if still needed, a new request will be required.
- When the individual leaves the University, please advise Operations and ensure the employee returns their key(s) promptly.
At no time should any key or card be passed along to another person as it remains the responsibility of the individual who signed it out.
If keys are not returned, they will be deemed lost. This has consequences for both the person and the department. For the former, deposits on future keys are doubled; for the latter, any costs to rekey doors will be charged back.
Employees should be advised by the authorizing department representative that keys and cards are for their personal use only and that they cannot be passed from person to person. Keys and cards must be returned to Operations and then reassigned to a new employee.
- Operations keeps a list of all staff members. This list is updated each semester. When an employee is assigned a key during the semester, they automatically go on the personnel list; however, when they leave the University their name is not removed until the next update.
Should you wish their name removed immediately so that access upon request will not be given, please notify Operations.