Keeping the Campus Safe
Entry/Exit from Buildings
Access cards for entry into the building after hours are authorized by your department head and picked up from Operations in Harbour Centre.
Closure of the buildings are in two steps:
The first step is when we "close" to the public. That is, when the outside entrances are locked.
The second step is when the janitors leave and the building is "armed".
Security of Personal Effects
It is recommended that purses and other valuables be locked in a secure place. The keys to locking drawers, cupboards, etc., should not be left hanging in the lock overnight or when not in use.
For rooms that are found to be open and empty, the guard will place an Insecure Premise notice inside. The reason for this is that if a guard has had sufficient time to write out a notice, there was certainly sufficient time for someone to enter the room and steal something. These notices are compiled regularly and when we see that a trend might be developing we will forward them to your department head.
Office keys for your office and/or work area must be authorized by your department head and picked up from Operations in Harbour Centre. A refundable deposit is required. After receiving authorization, Operations will prepare the keys and inform your department when they are ready to be picked up. This may take a few days.
Office keys must be picked up in person and returned similarly. Please do NOT pass they keys or access cards onto the next occupant of your office. They should be returned in person as the assignee remains responsible for them until that time.
In order to maintain security around the campus, the following things would be helpful:
- Call security immediately if you feel that there is a person in your area without legitimate business. After that, you may challenge the person, but only if you feel comfortable doing so.
- Ensure that your office room number and telephone local are clearly written on your telephone faceplate card in case someone who is not familiar with the facility has to place an emergency call.
- All contractors and maintenance personnel will have an identification badge from the sponsoring SFU department. Watch for this and if someone is working in the building without one, call security.
- If you have had an item stolen, either from campus or from your car in any of the parking lots while on university business, please ensure that SFU security is notified. This allows us to take immediate action when appropriate as well as maintain statistics for estimation of security requirements.
- If you are allowing someone to use your office in your absence, Operations (or Security if Operations is closed) must be notified ahead of time. Guards will deny access to anyone who is in an area without proper authorization.
Thank you for helping us to keep our campus safe.