Summer 2023 - JAPN 200 D100
Japanese III (3)
Class Number: 4160
Delivery Method: In Person
Follows JAPN 110. Everyday language usage is emphasized in providing students with communicative skills at the advanced introductory level of Japanese. Students learn to comprehend everyday language in various situations using the appropriate speech style, and to read adapted texts and write coherently.
Follows JAPN 110. Everyday language usage is emphasized in providing students with communicative skills at the advanced introductory level of Japanese. Students will learn to comprehend everyday language in various situations using the appropriate speech style, read adapted texts, and write coherently. The course covers Lesson 13 to 17 in the textbook, GENKI Volume II with nearly one hundred Kanji. The emphasis of this course is not only to build a solid understanding of the grammatical structure of the language, but also to learn a practical usage of the language.
1) Tutorials start in week one and all students are required to attend the first tutorial. It is the students' responsibility to plan well before booking your flight if you are traveling and make sure to come back before the semester begins.
2) The tutorials will be offered mostly in-person sessions that require students’ attendance. Some parts (About 40 minutes per week) will be asynchronous, where students watch lecture videos and complete assignments. Students are expected to be available during the set scheduled class times.
3) There will be no final exam during the final exam period.
- Quizzes 12%
- Written Exam 1 15%
- Written Exam 2 15%
- Correction of Written Exam 1 and the self-feedback sheet 3%
- Oral Exam 1 6%
- Oral Exam 2 7%
- Workbook (At the end of each chapter) 9%
- Reading and Writing content questions (At the end of each chapter) 9%
- Dialogue assignment (At the end of each chapter) 9%
- Speech 5%
- Attendance and in-class performance 10%
GRADING SCALE A+ = 96-100% B+ = 83-86% C+ = 70-74% D = 50-58% A = 91-95% B = 79-82% C = 65-69% F = 0-49% A- = 87-90% B- = 75-78% C- = 59-64% *Grades are based on individual students’ achievement and not on comparison with other students.
MATERIALS + SUPPLIES:
*The Kindle versions are available on Amazon US and Japan. Digital textbook/workbook are also available at https://honto.jp/
-Genki volume II: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese, 3rd edition, by E. Banno, Y. Ohno, Y. Sakane & C.Shinagawa. The Japan Times 2020.
-Genki volume II, Workbook: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese, 3rd edition, by E. Banno, Y. Ohno, Y. Sakane & C.Shinagawa. The Japan Times 2020.
Makino, Seiich and Michino Tsutsui. A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. The Japan Times, 1989.
REQUIRED READING NOTES:
Your personalized Course Material list, including digital and physical textbooks, are available through the SFU Bookstore website by simply entering your Computing ID at: shop.sfu.ca/course-materials/my-personalized-course-materials.
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY: YOUR WORK, YOUR SUCCESS
SFU’s Academic Integrity website http://www.sfu.ca/students/academicintegrity.html is filled with information on what is meant by academic dishonesty, where you can find resources to help with your studies and the consequences of cheating. Check out the site for more information and videos that help explain the issues in plain English.
Each student is responsible for his or her conduct as it affects the university community. Academic dishonesty, in whatever form, is ultimately destructive of the values of the university. Furthermore, it is unfair and discouraging to the majority of students who pursue their studies honestly. Scholarly integrity is required of all members of the university. http://www.sfu.ca/policies/gazette/student/s10-01.html
Students with a faith background who may need accommodations during the semester are encouraged to assess their needs as soon as possible and review the Multifaith religious accommodations website. The page outlines ways they begin working toward an accommodation and ensure solutions can be reached in a timely fashion.